What exactly is this resonance curve showing?

In summary, resonance occurs when the natural frequency of an object is matched by the driver frequency, but can also occur at other frequencies close to the natural frequency. Damping reduces the maximum effect at the natural frequency, but can increase the number of frequencies at which partial resonance can occur. There can be multiple resonance frequencies for a system with distributed mass. Harmonic frequencies, which are multiples of the fundamental frequency, are also resonance frequencies for a distributed mass system.
Kashim
Hi I had a quick question. From what I understand resonance is when a natural frequency of an object is matched by the driver frequency however in this graph it seems as though resonance is occurring at all the frequencies around the natural frequency just not to a great extent.

http://perlgeek.de/talks/2010/yapceu-p6-realworld/resonance.png

So according to this graph damping reduces the maximum effect that can take place, i.e. the maximum amplitude possible at THE natural frequency, however increases the number of frequencies at which 'partial' resonance can occur. This doesn't make sense to me as I thought that resonance can only occur at ONE frequency, the natural frequency.

This ties into why I don't understand when people refer to 'resonant frequencies' I thought there can only be one.

Sorry if I'm unclear and if you don't understand anything I wrote please let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Physics news on Phys.org
You get large oscillations close to the resonance frequency, too.
This doesn't make sense to me as I thought that resonance can only occur at ONE frequency, the natural frequency.
No.
For systems with low damping, the peak in the graph can be very sharp, so it can look like a single frequency, but in real systems it is always a frequency range.
This ties into why I don't understand when people refer to 'resonant frequencies' I thought there can only be one.
There can be many resonance frequencies, related to different oscillation modes of the system.

Resonance is a phenomenon where at a particular frequency some energy transfer is particularly effecient. "The" resonant frequency is the frequency at which the energy transfer is most efficient, so it is a single frequency, the peak of the plot you showed. Energy transfer generally occurs at other frequencies also, it is just less efficient than at "the" resonant frequency. For frequencies that are very close to the peak resonance frequency the energy transfer is very close to as efficient as at the resonant frequency.

Note, it is possible for there to be more than one peak.

Ok thanks a lot guys :)

Edit: Sorry 1 more. Are harmonic frequencies (multiples of the fundamental) the same thing as resonant frequencies?

Last edited:
A single 'lumped' mass on a spring will have a single natural frequency. The natural frequency is also the resonance frequency - the frequency of driving force for maximum amplitude.

A distributed mass system, for example a guitar string or a drum skin will have several (strictly infinitely many) natural frequencies. In the case of the guitar string (but not for the drumskin) the natural frequencies are multiples of the lowest frequency or 'fundamental'. All natural frequencies are resonance frequencies: the system will respond strongly to applied oscillating forces of those frequencies.

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system is subjected to a periodic force that matches its natural frequency. This causes the object to vibrate with a larger amplitude.

2. What is a resonance curve?

A resonance curve is a graphical representation of the amplitude of vibration of a system at different frequencies. It is also known as a frequency response curve.

3. What does the shape of a resonance curve tell us?

The shape of a resonance curve tells us about the resonant frequency and the width of the resonance peak. A sharp and tall peak indicates a high Q factor, which means the system can vibrate with a large amplitude at a specific frequency. A broad and short peak indicates a low Q factor, meaning the system can vibrate with a large amplitude over a wider range of frequencies.

4. How is resonance curve measured?

Resonance curves are typically measured using a device called a frequency analyzer. This device measures the amplitude of vibrations at different frequencies and plots them on a graph to create the resonance curve. The system is usually excited with a periodic force, such as a sound wave or an electrical signal, to observe the response.

5. What are some real-world applications of resonance curves?

Resonance curves are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and music. In physics, they are used to study the properties of materials and analyze the behavior of mechanical and electrical systems. In engineering, they are used to design and optimize structures and machines. In music, they are used to tune instruments and create harmonious sounds.