Kinetic energy of electron

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the average kinetic energy of an electron in a ground-state helium atom and calculating the corresponding electron velocity. It also includes an experiment with uncertainty in the velocity measurement and the minimum uncertainty in the position of the electron for this experiment. The final question asks if this uncertainty is a significant fraction of the effective radius of a helium atom. The equations used include the kinetic energy formula and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. A numerical result is obtained for B, but C only requires an appreciation of the result.
littlebearrrr

Homework Statement

(NOTE: I solved the first two parts of this problem, but I included it anyway so you have background knowledge for the third question)

The average kinetic energy of an electron in a ground-state helium atom is 2.4x10^3 kJ/mol.

A. What is the corresponding electron velocity?

B. An experiment measures this velocity with an uncertainty of 10%. Calculate the minimum uncertainty in the position of the electron for this experiment.

C. The effective radius of a helium atom is 130 pm. Is the uncertainty in the position you calculated in B a significant fraction of this radius?

Homework Equations

A. KE=(1/2)mv^2

B. Δx*Δv≥ h/(4pi)m

C. N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

A. Just multiplied 2.4e3 kJ/mol by (1 mole/6.022e23 electrons) and used the above equation to solve for v. Got 3.0e6 m/s.

B. Took 10% of my velocity, plugged that into the above inequality. Obtained Δx=2.0e-10 m (can someone check if this is right?)

C. If the above answer in B is right, do I just take that answer and divide it by 1.30e-10 m to get my answer for C?

Physics news on Phys.org
littlebearrrr said:
B. Took 10% of my velocity, plugged that into the above inequality. Obtained Δx=2.0e-10 m (can someone check if this is right?)
That looks correct.

littlebearrrr said:
C. If the above answer in B is right, do I just take that answer and divide it by 1.30e-10 m to get my answer for C?
I don't think that C calls for a numerical result, rather an appreciation of the result of B compared to the effective radius.

Likes 1 person
Hey DrClaude, thanks for your help/checking my answers again :)

1. What is the definition of kinetic energy of an electron?

The kinetic energy of an electron is the energy that it possesses due to its motion. It is a form of energy that results from the movement of an object.

2. How is the kinetic energy of an electron calculated?

The kinetic energy of an electron can be calculated using the formula: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of an electron?

The kinetic energy of an electron is affected by its mass and velocity. An increase in either of these factors will result in an increase in the kinetic energy of the electron.

4. How does the kinetic energy of an electron relate to its potential energy?

The kinetic energy of an electron is often referred to as its "free" energy, as it is not bound to any particular location. This energy can be converted into potential energy when the electron is in a stable energy state within an atom.

5. What is the significance of the kinetic energy of an electron in atomic and molecular systems?

The kinetic energy of an electron is a crucial component in understanding the behavior and interactions of atoms and molecules. It helps to determine the electronic structure of an atom and plays a role in chemical reactions and energy transfer processes.