Foliation with isometric leaves.

• Thread starter center o bass
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a foliation of a manifold with codimension one leaves that are all isometric. The term "quasi-isometric foliations" was mentioned, but it does not align with the definition provided. The discussion also touched on the relationship between isometric foliations and General Relativity, as well as the potential terminology for such foliations. Ultimately, the speakers could not find an existing term and suggested using "a foliation with isometric leaves" or creating a new term.
center o bass
Suppose one has a foliation of a manifold ##M## with codimension one leaves that are all isometric. What is such a foliation called?

All I have been able to find online is something called quasi-isometric foliations, which does not seem to coincide with my definition above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I only know this from the context of General Relativity. If the hypersurfaces are isometric to each other, and are space like, this means one can define a global time coordinate on such hypersurfaces. The integral curves of the velocity vector of this global time coordinate can be used to define the isometry (maybe diffeomorphism in GR) between different hypersurfaces. Such surfaces are then called Cauchy surfaces, and the space-time is said to be globally hyperbolic.

Probably this is not what you wanted...but it's all I can think of.

I don't know whether there already is a word, but if you were to approach me on the street and start talking to me about isometric foliations, there's two things I would have in mind. The first one is what you described, that is a foliation of a manifold into mutually isometric leaves. The next one would be two (pseudo-)Riemannian manifolds ##(M,g),(M',g')## that are foliated and there exists an isometry between the leaves of the two with respect to the pullback metric. With respect to this metric, the leaves are assumed to be pseudo-Riemannian as well. Note that this neither implies that ##(M,g)## and ##(M',g')## are isometric, nor that the leaves are mutually isometric. Actually, the more I think about this, the more it appears that the latter is best described by the word "isometric foliation".
It follows that this would be a bad choice of terminology. However, both foliations and metrics are omnipresent in differential geometry, so there's probably a word... I spent some time looking but I really couldn't find anything.
To be safe I would simply stick to "a foliation with isometric leaves" or define your own terminology.

The foliation you have described is known as a Riemannian foliation. In this type of foliation, the leaves are all isometric to each other, meaning they have the same intrinsic geometry. This is a special case of a more general type of foliation called a foliation with transversely constant metrics, where the leaves have the same metric up to a constant factor. Riemannian foliations are of particular interest in mathematics and physics, as they have applications in the study of geometric structures and dynamical systems. So, your foliation is a well-studied and important concept in the field of mathematics.

What is foliation with isometric leaves?

Foliation with isometric leaves is a geometric pattern that consists of identical, symmetrical leaves arranged in a repetitive manner.

How is foliation with isometric leaves formed?

Foliation with isometric leaves is formed through a process called isometric growth, where each leaf grows in a consistent direction and angle, resulting in a uniform pattern.

What is the significance of foliation with isometric leaves in nature?

Foliation with isometric leaves can be found in various natural structures, such as honeycombs, turtle shells, and cacti. It allows for efficient use of space and resources, as well as providing structural stability.

What are some examples of man-made objects that exhibit foliation with isometric leaves?

Examples of man-made objects that exhibit foliation with isometric leaves include tiled floors, quilt patterns, and geometric designs in architecture.

How does foliation with isometric leaves differ from other types of foliation?

Foliation with isometric leaves differs from other types of foliation, such as parallel or spiral foliation, in that the leaves are arranged in a symmetrical and repetitive manner, rather than in a linear or spiraling pattern.