Maps of Ringed Spaces: Definition & Equivalence

• Thread starter Mandelbroth
  • Start date
In summary: So it was not about real manifolds, but rather about schemes over a field. In that context, the structure sheaf is an abstract ring, not a sheaf of functions.
Mandelbroth
I recently bought a copy of S. Ramanan's Global Calculus. I skimmed around a bit. Naturally, I was confused when it defined a differentiable function ##f:M\to N## between differentiable manifolds as a continuous map such that, for each ##x\in M## and for each ##\phi\in\mathcal{O}_N(V)##, where ##V\ni f(x)## is some neighborhood of ##f(x)## in ##N## and ##\mathcal{O}_N## is the structure sheaf of ##N##, the composition ##\phi\circ f## is in ##f_*\mathcal{O}_M(V)##.

I'd think the more appropriate definition would be that ##f:M\to N## is differentiable if (and only if) it is a homomorphism of locally ringed spaces. I believe these two definitions are equivalent, but I haven't checked yet, due to a more general question to muse over: if two locally ringed spaces have structure sheaves that would allow for the composition in the first definition to make sense, would an analogue of the first definition define homomorphisms of locally ringed spaces between two such structures?

I do not think this holds for ringed spaces of the same nature, since definition #1 is essentially a "local" condition, but I don't know how to show this. Could someone please explain where this goes wrong for ringed spaces? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A morphism of (locally) ringed spaces ##(X,\mathcal{O}_X)## and ##(Y,\mathcal{O}_Y)## is given by two data, a continuous function ##f:X\rightarrow Y## and a morphism of sheafs ##f^\sharp: \mathcal{O}_Y\rightarrow f_*\mathcal{O}_X##. You have not specified what this morphism of sheafs would be.

micromass said:
A morphism of (locally) ringed spaces ##(X,\mathcal{O}_X)## and ##(Y,\mathcal{O}_Y)## is given by two data, a continuous function ##f:X\rightarrow Y## and a morphism of sheafs ##f^\sharp: \mathcal{O}_Y\rightarrow f_*\mathcal{O}_X##. You have not specified what this morphism of sheafs would be.
Indeed, being cocky with notation has the added effect of not being clear.

I implicitly assumed that the morphism of sheaves is given by ##f^\sharp:\mathcal{O}_N\to f_*\mathcal{O}_M##, where on each open ##U\subseteq N##, ##f^\sharp_U:\mathcal{O}_N(U)\to f_*\mathcal{O}_M(U)## is defined by ##f^\sharp_U(\varphi)=\varphi\circ f##. Now that I've been motivated to check it, this is clearly a homomorphism of rings, and in fact induces a local homomorphism between stalks (!) since ##\mathfrak{m}_{f(x)}=\{\phi\in\mathcal{O}_{N,f(x)}\vert \phi(f(x))=0\}## and ##\mathfrak{m}_x=\{\psi\in\mathcal{O}_{M,x}\vert \psi(x)=0\}##.

In this light, I'd say that sheaves of functions would satisfy this, correct?

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I have yet another thought.

Conjecture:
Because of the necessary correspondence of maximal ideals, I don't even have to define what my morphism of sheaves is!

Any homomorphism of locally ringed spaces in this case will necessarily be "pullback-like." Is this correct?

Last edited:
Mandelbroth said:
In this light, I'd say that sheaves of functions would satisfy this, correct?

Yes, in differential geometry context this follows quite easily from usual function theoretic arguments. In algebraic geometry it doesn't follow so easily.

micromass said:
In algebraic geometry it doesn't follow so easily.
Could you please explain why?

Mandelbroth said:
Could you please explain why?

Because the structure sheafs in algebraic geometry are abstract rings and might not have anything to do with functions. Of course, we can still view elements of the structure sheafs as functions and this gives us good intuiton, but pure formally they can be anything.

The good situation here was that a map between the topological spaces actually implied a map between the structure sheafs by just composition. This fails dramatically in the algebraic geometry setting and we need to actually write down the two maps there. Furthermore, we need to demand axiomatically that the maps satisfy the local property.

Of course, in the case of affine schemes, things behave nicely.

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Because the structure sheafs in algebraic geometry are abstract rings and might not have anything to do with functions.
Oh. I thought I was clear when I said "sheaves of functions." By this, I meant sheaves [strike]that have[/strike] whose sections [strike]that[/strike] are functions. Sorry for being confusing.

Once again, thank you!

micromass said:
Because the structure sheafs in algebraic geometry are abstract rings and might not have anything to do with functions. Of course, we can still view elements of the structure sheafs as functions and this gives us good intuiton, but pure formally they can be anything.

The good situation here was that a map between the topological spaces actually implied a map between the structure sheafs by just composition. This fails dramatically in the algebraic geometry setting and we need to actually write down the two maps there. Furthermore, we need to demand axiomatically that the maps satisfy the local property.

Of course, in the case of affine schemes, things behave nicely.
I think I misinterpreted what was being said. Is there an example where the structure sheaf of a (real) manifold is not naturally isomorphic to a sheaf of real-valued functions?

Mandelbroth said:
I think I misinterpreted what was being said. Is there an example where the structure sheaf of a (real) manifold is not naturally isomorphic to a sheaf of real-valued functions?

I was talking of algebraic geometry, not differential geometry.

1. What is a ringed space?

A ringed space is a mathematical structure that combines a topological space (a set of points with a notion of nearness) with a sheaf of rings (a collection of rings defined on subsets of the space). It is used in algebraic geometry and algebraic topology to study the local properties of spaces.

2. How is a ringed space defined?

A ringed space is defined by a pair (X, O), where X is a topological space and O is a sheaf of rings on X. The sheaf O assigns a ring to each open subset of X and satisfies certain compatibility conditions with respect to the inclusion of open sets.

3. What is the equivalence of ringed spaces?

The equivalence of ringed spaces is a mathematical concept that describes when two different ringed spaces have similar local properties. Two ringed spaces (X, O) and (Y, P) are said to be equivalent if there exists a homeomorphism between X and Y that preserves the sheaf structure, meaning that the rings assigned to open sets are preserved under the homeomorphism.

4. How are ringed spaces used in mathematics?

Ringed spaces are used in algebraic geometry and algebraic topology to study the local properties of spaces. They provide a way to understand the behavior of algebraic structures on a topological space, and can be used to study properties such as continuity, differentiability, and singularities.

5. What are some examples of ringed spaces?

Examples of ringed spaces include affine schemes, which are used in algebraic geometry to study polynomial rings, and locally ringed spaces, which are used to study the local properties of analytic and differentiable functions on a manifold. Other examples include the complex projective space and the spectrum of a commutative ring.