Earth Geodesics - Rhumb Line vs Great Circle

In summary, the vector projected from object A in the air to point B on the ground will be a great circle.
GreenLRan
I have an object (A) at some altitude above the Earth ellipsoid, and a point (B) on the surface of the Earth.

Since you're not confined to the surface of the Earth as you travel from A (at altitude), to B, I'm getting confused.

If I were to create a (Cartesian) vector pointing from object A in the air, to point B on the ground,
would a rhumb line, or a great circle be a more accurate representation of the vector if I were to put the discretized values of the vector in terms LLA (latitude, longitude, and altitude)?

Maybe a better way to ask is: What is the LLA projection of the Cartesian vector pointing from A to B? And would that projection be better represented as a rhumb line, a great circle, or some other calculation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

GreenLRan said:
I have an object (A) at some altitude above the Earth ellipsoid, and a point (B) on the surface of the Earth.

Since you're not confined to the surface of the Earth as you travel from A (at altitude), to B, I'm getting confused.

If I were to create a (Cartesian) vector pointing from object A in the air, to point B on the ground,
would a rhumb line, or a great circle be a more accurate representation of the vector if I were to put the discretized values of the vector in terms LLA (latitude, longitude, and altitude)?

Maybe a better way to ask is: What is the LLA projection of the Cartesian vector pointing from A to B? And would that projection be better represented as a rhumb line, a great circle, or some other calculation?

Thanks

By "rhumb line" do you mean "plumb line"? I've never heard this term.

Matterwave said:
By "rhumb line" do you mean "plumb line"? I've never heard this term.

A 'rhumb line' is a term of art used by navigators to describe a path which cuts all meridians of longitude at the same angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhumb_line

A curve which does this is also known as a 'loxodrome'.

In that case, I have to ask are we allowed to move through the Earth? If so...the vector should just be directed along the straight line connecting point A and B. I don't see why not .

For navigation across the Earth, treating it as a sphere is a good approximation. The Earth's flattening is about 1/300, and an airliner typically travels at a relative altitude of 1/600. Mt. Everest is about 1/720 above sea level, the Mariana Trench is about 1/580 below sea level, and the Everest-Mariana difference is about 1/320.

As to geodesic vs. rhumb line, only some rhumb lines are geodesics: the equatorial and polar ones. That's because geodesics are great circles, and all of them have variable bearing except for the equatorial and polar ones.

Interested in the math?

I believe the projection ends up being a great circle, this makes sense to me now. If you're following a rhumb line, you're constantly keeping a fixed azimuth with respect to North (a longitude line), in reality that works the vector off target. I verified by converting from LLA coordinates to ECEF, then making discrete points (X,Y,Z) along a line traveling from A to B. Once I converted the ECEF line back to LLA, it did indeed produce the same results you would get from a great circle.

Thanks for the help guys.

1. What is the difference between Rhumb Lines and Great Circles?

Rhumb lines and Great Circles are two different types of paths that can be drawn on the surface of the Earth. A Rhumb Line is a line of constant bearing, meaning that it maintains the same direction throughout its entire length. On the other hand, a Great Circle is the shortest distance between two points on a sphere, and it is the largest circle that can be drawn on the surface of the Earth.

2. Which type of path, Rhumb Line or Great Circle, is the most commonly used for navigation?

The most commonly used path for navigation is the Rhumb Line. This is because it is much easier to follow a constant bearing than to constantly adjust direction to follow a Great Circle. Rhumb Lines are also used for flight paths and ship routes as they provide a more predictable and consistent route.

3. How are Rhumb Lines and Great Circles related to Earth's geodesics?

Rhumb Lines and Great Circles are both geodesics, which are the shortest paths between two points on a curved surface. In the case of the Earth, these geodesics take into account the spherical shape of the planet.

4. Which type of path, Rhumb Line or Great Circle, is better for long-distance travel?

For long-distance travel, Great Circles are the better option as they are the shortest distance between two points on a sphere. This means that they will save time and fuel compared to following a Rhumb Line. However, for shorter distances, the difference in distance between the two paths is negligible.

5. How do Rhumb Lines and Great Circles affect flight and travel times?

Because Rhumb Lines follow a constant bearing, they are easier for pilots and travelers to follow. However, they may take longer to reach the destination compared to Great Circles. This is because Great Circles are shorter distance paths, but they may require more frequent changes in direction. Ultimately, factors such as wind patterns and altitude can also affect flight and travel times.