Constructing a Cartesian Closed Topos for Real Closed Fields

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary: But, fortunately, we can still use the topos to model the theory.In summary, a cartesian category is a category with all finite products, and a topos is the categorical substitute for set theory. A cartesian closed category is one that has a full embedding of a category in it, and a topos is the categorical substitute for set theory that has equalizers and a subobject classifier Ω.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Suppose I have some arbitrary category C.

I would like to construct a cartesian category C' with C embedded in it. If at all possible, the embedding would be full, and C' would be universal amongst all such constructions.

What would be a good way to go about doing that? Can I even do that in general?

Once I've found C', I would like to construct a cartesian closed category C'', again with there being a full embedding of C into C'', and universal amongst all such constructions.

Once I have that, I what I really want is some topos E in which C is embedded, preferably fully. It would be nice, too, if E was universal amongst all such topoi, or at least being minimal amongst extensions.

Actually, the first category I want to do this with is already cartesian, and has a subobject classifier. (It would be cool if it was still the subobject classifier when extended to a topos) But I'm still curious about the more general case too!

Physics news on Phys.org
yukkk. ok what is a cartesian category?

and next what is a topos?

third: why do, you want this &&**^^!

A cartesian category is one with all finite products. (So it has a terminator -- the empty product)

It's cartesian closed if it's cartesian and has exponentials -- that is, for any A, B, we have a natural isomorphism Hom(_xA, B) --> Hom(_, BA)

To be a topos, it has to be cartesian closed, have equalizers, and a subobject classifier Ω. That means there's a natural isomorphism
Sub(Bx_) --> Hom(_, ΩB)

(There are lots of equivalent ways to define a topos -- I'm not really sure which would be the simplest for this purpose)

A topos is the categorical substitute for set theory. In fact, Set is a topos. (It's subobject classifier is 2 = {true, false}) What I want to do is, given a theory, to build a topos that naturally serves to model that theory, rather than start with my favorite topos and try to build a model of the theory within that topos.

At the moment, I'm interested in doing this to the theory of real closed fields. (ordered fields R such that R is algebraically closed)

I always thought the theory was pretty because it's logically complete. Any statement true for one real closed field is true for all. In particular, every real closed field satisfies the completeness axiom!... as long as the only "sets" you can build are solutions to a system of equalities and inequalities. (or, equivalently, semialgebraic subsets of R^n)

So, we see that the prettiness is destroyed when we start analyzing the theory with set theory. (e.g. most real closed fields do not satisfy the completeness axiom!)

What is the purpose of constructing a category?

The purpose of constructing a category is to organize and classify objects or concepts into logical groups based on their shared characteristics or properties. This can help us understand relationships between different elements and make connections between seemingly unrelated ideas.

What is the process of constructing a category?

The process of constructing a category involves identifying a common feature or characteristic among a group of objects or concepts, and then grouping them together based on that shared feature. This can be done through observation, experimentation, or logical reasoning.

Why is constructing a category important in science?

Constructing categories is important in science because it allows us to organize and systematically study different phenomena, make predictions, and develop theories. It also helps us communicate and share knowledge with others in a clear and organized manner.

Can categories change over time?

Yes, categories can change over time as our understanding and knowledge of the world evolves. As we gather new information and make new discoveries, we may need to adjust or create new categories to better reflect our understanding of the natural world.

What are some challenges in constructing a category?

Some challenges in constructing a category include defining clear and consistent criteria for grouping objects or concepts, dealing with outliers or exceptions, and avoiding biases or assumptions that may limit our understanding of the category. It is also important to continuously review and revise categories as needed to ensure they accurately reflect our understanding of the world.