What is the integral of Arcsin[x]?

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for integrating \arcsin{x}, with suggestions including trigonometric substitution, integration by parts, and a combination of both. Ultimately, it is suggested to make the substitution x = \sin{t} and use integration by parts to solve the integral. The final solution is given as x\arcsin{x} + \sqrt{1-x^2} + C.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I just can't see it. I would think that it would involve some form of trig substitution, but I'm just drawing a blank. I'll do the work if someone can please give me a nice little hint.

I know that [tex]\int \arcsin{(x)}dx = \sqrt{1-x^2}+ x\arcsin{(x}) + C[/tex] from my calculator and mathematica.

Hint please. :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
If only you were working with its derivative! I bet you know how to integrate something that looks like its derivative!

Sure... I'd draw a nice triangle and do trig substitution if it was [tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

Hmmm...I'll think out loud here. If the integral has a square-root and is in the form of [itex]c^2-x^2[/itex] then x is one leg, c is the hypotenuse, and the other leg is the previously mentioned radical.

Is trig substitution with right triangles on the right track? Since the hypotenuse is [itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex], it seems that one leg might need to be [itex]\sqrt{\arcsin{(x)}}[/itex] Somehow I don't think I'm on track.

Use integration by parts. Remember to let u=arcsin(x) and v=x.

u sub: InverseLogAlgebraicTrigExp

Sheesh, just give him the answer, why don't ya? :grumpy:

apmcavoy said:
Use integration by parts. Remember to let u=arcsin(x) and v=x.

u sub: InverseLogAlgebraicTrigExp

Ah, thank you! It's so simple.

And thank you Hurkyl as well. I still have lots to learn.

I apologize Hurkyl :smile:

well, you know the integral of sinx with limits. Now arcsin x will be the limits, and you can make a rectangle.

Or you could just take the derivative of the right hand side and go "ta da!" and that's proof enough for me.

hint

equate the arc sine to another variable e.g y.making it a sine fxn.e.g the arc sine of 0.5=30,while sine30=0.5.this will simplify the integral and further substitution will conclude it

Just for the fun of it ...

The sum of the integrals

[tex]\int \sin^{-1} x dx + \int \sin y dy[/tex]

is just the area of the bounding rectangle: [itex] x \times \sin^{-1} x[/itex]

Since [tex]\int \sin y dy = -\cos y + C[/tex] and [tex]\cos y = \cos \sin^{-1} x = \sqrt {1-x^2}[/tex] it follows that
[tex]\int \sin^{-1} x dx = \sqrt {1-x^2} + x \sin^{-1} x + C[/tex]

Integration by parts?

Hey, I am really sorry to arise dead threads from the past (which i have seen though google) but somehting really weird happened me when I tried to use integration by parts on arcsinx.

let me show you:
S(arcsinx)= {v'(x)=1} {u(x)=arcsinx}

xarcsinx-S(x*d(arcsinx))=

xarcsinx-S(x/(1-x^2)^0.5= {u(x)=x v'(x)=arcsinx}

xarcsinx-xarcsinx+S(arcsin)dx

==> S(arcsinx)=S(arcsinx)

:\
I know I have done something really stupid here, but please be easy on me since I started studying Integrals only three days ago.

In the second time I used integration by parts, do I miss something , is there another efficient choice of v and u?

Thanks in advance,
Aviv

p.s: I will edit it better to use normal math signs once I figure out how.

For the second time you integrate by parts, swap your choices.

Im sorry, Tried it also and all i got is:

xarcsine x -(x^2/2)(1/(Sqrt(1-x^2)))-(x/4)(sqrt(1/(1-x^2))+1/4(arcsinx)

this isn't going anywhere :(

Jameson said:
I just can't see it. I would think that it would involve some form of trig substitution, but I'm just drawing a blank. I'll do the work if someone can please give me a nice little hint.

I know that [tex]\int \arcsin{(x)}dx = \sqrt{1-x^2}+ x\arcsin{(x}) + C[/tex] from my calculator and mathematica.

Hint please. :yuck:

Make [itex] x=\sin t [/itex]. Then apply part integration on the resulting integral. It's just a way to avoid the simple solution of part integrating directly.

After the first integration by parts, I would use a substitution

solve it officially. Fixed during some major mistakes I had about dev' and stuff.

did it without subtition, only using integration by parts.

if you are interested what I did then you are welcome to tell me to write my solution.Thanks guys :)
gg

use separation by parts

u=arcsinx
du=dx/(1-x^2)^1/2

dv=dx
v=x

uv-ingegral vdu = xarsinx-integral x/(1-x^2)^1/2
use u substitution with u = 1-x^2 so du = -2x
than you get

xarsinx + (1-x^2)^1/2 + c

f(x)=arcsinx f'(x)=1/radical(1-xsquare)
g'(x)=1 g(x)=x

// S means integral

S arcsin x dx= x arcsin x - S xdx/radical(1-xsquare) = x arcsin x + S (radical(1-xsquare))'dx=
=x arcsin x + radical(1-xsquare) +C

1. What is the integral of Arcsin[x]?

The integral of Arcsin[x] is given by -x√(1-x^2)+Arcsin[x]+C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. How do I solve the integral of Arcsin[x]?

To solve the integral of Arcsin[x], you can use integration by parts or substitution. Alternatively, you can use a table of integrals to find the solution.

3. Is the integral of Arcsin[x] a difficult integral to solve?

The integral of Arcsin[x] can be tricky to solve due to the presence of the inverse trigonometric function. However, with the use of appropriate techniques and formulas, it can be solved effectively.

4. What is the domain of the integral of Arcsin[x]?

The domain of the integral of Arcsin[x] is all real numbers from -1 to 1, inclusive. This is because Arcsin[x] is only defined for values between -1 and 1.

5. Why is the integral of Arcsin[x] important in mathematics?

The integral of Arcsin[x] is an important concept in mathematics as it is used in various applications such as calculating areas of spherical triangles and finding the arc length of a curve. It is also a fundamental integral that helps in understanding more complex integrals involving inverse trigonometric functions.