Find solution to this system of inequalities such that x+y is minimal

In summary, the problem is to find values for x and y that satisfy the two given inequalities (1) and (2) and minimize the sum of x and y. The solution should be the intersection point of the two equations, which can be found by drawing a graph or using linear programming. The inequalities should also be "greater than or equal" instead of just "greater than".
Ajoo
I propsed myself a problem but I'm having some trouble solving it. I've narrowed it down to this but i need some help on this final part:

I have this 2 inequations that must be obeyed:

(17/15)x + y > 50000 (1)
(2/25)x + (3/10)y > 5000 (2)

and I want to find values for x and y that respect those 2 conditions and so that (x+y) is as low as possible.

I don't even know if there is a single value of x+y or multiple ones.
Is the solution the intersection between the equations (1) and (2)?
Plz, tell me how to do this.

PS: I'm in high school so try to keep it simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually the inequalities have to be "greater than or equal" not just greater than. To give you the idea why (unrelated to this problem), if you want to minimize x such that x > 2, then there is no solution because whatever x0 you pick that is greater than 2, you can always pick a smaller x1 that twice as close to 2 as x0 is.

Maybe the best way to solve this for you is to draw a picture of the intersection of the two inequalities and intuitively look for the point where x + y is smallest.

It also happens to be true that for a system of inequalities like that, the minimum value of the function (x+y) (if there is one) will always occur at the intersection of the equations, i.e. 17/15x + y = 50000 and 1/25x + 3/10y = 5000.

Yeah. It should be >= where it is >. I just typed this in a hurry.
I had already tried drawing the 2 graphs in my calculator but how can i be shure the intersection is the smallest value for (x+y)?
However, it's either that a point in equation (1) past the intersection point or a point in equation (2) be4 the intersection point.

The optimal solution in linear programming always falls at one of the vertexes of the feasible region (the convex polygon defined by your linear constraints). This should be fairly intuitive, but many Linear Programming books will have proofs.

1. How do I find the solution to a system of inequalities?

To find the solution to a system of inequalities, you must graph each inequality on the same coordinate plane. The solution will be the intersection of all the shaded regions.

2. What does it mean for x+y to be minimal in a system of inequalities?

In a system of inequalities, x+y being minimal means that the value of x+y is as small as possible while still satisfying all of the given inequalities. This is often referred to as the "minimum value" of x+y.

3. Can there be multiple solutions to a system of inequalities where x+y is minimal?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to a system of inequalities where x+y is minimal. This can happen when the shaded regions of the inequalities overlap, creating multiple points of intersection.

4. How can I check if my solution to a system of inequalities is correct?

You can check if your solution to a system of inequalities is correct by plugging in the values for x and y into each inequality and ensuring that they all hold true. Additionally, you can graph the solution and make sure it matches the shaded region of the individual inequalities.

5. Are there any specific methods for finding the solution to a system of inequalities where x+y is minimal?

Yes, there are a few methods that can be used to find the solution to a system of inequalities where x+y is minimal, such as graphing, substitution, or elimination. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of inequalities.