Understanding Inversion Symmetry and Space Symmetry Breaking

In summary: AST&rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Ajournal&rft_id=info%3Apmid%3A1986PThPS..86...43W&rft_val_format=PDF&name=Gauss%27s+law+in+a+non-degenerate+system&spage=5Electric polarization is a vector. Therefore I(P) = -P. If the crystal is invariant under inversion symmetry, then P=0 and the crystal cannot be ferroelectric. Additionally, can you explain the time symmetry broken induced magnetism
fyw
1. P. Marder ever said that there is no special symmetry results in two dimensional oblique lattice. But it still possesses inversion symmetry. r-r
How to understand r-r?

2. Many book ever states that space symmetry broken by atomic displacement can bring ferroelectricity. But why this kind of displacement breaks the space symmetry?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of the inversion symmetry operator I that it transforms a vector into a different vector of same magnitude but antiparallel orentation. This can be written in many ways, e.g. I(r) = -r, or r --> -r, where r is a vector. All "naked" Bravais lattices have inversion symmetry (=they are invariant under inversion symmetry).

Special symmetry elements in 2D are mirror axes and 60, 90 or 180deg rotation symmetry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravais_lattice

Electric polarization is a vector. Therefore I(P) = -P. If the crystal is invariant under inversion symmetry, then P=0 and the crystal cannot be ferroelectric.

M Quack said:
The definition of the inversion symmetry operator I that it transforms a vector into a different vector of same magnitude but antiparallel orentation. This can be written in many ways, e.g. I(r) = -r, or r --> -r, where r is a vector. All "naked" Bravais lattices have inversion symmetry (=they are invariant under inversion symmetry).

Special symmetry elements in 2D are mirror axes and 60, 90 or 180deg rotation symmetry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravais_lattice

Electric polarization is a vector. Therefore I(P) = -P. If the crystal is invariant under inversion symmetry, then P=0 and the crystal cannot be ferroelectric.

Dear Quack,

Thank you for your answer. I've got it.
Additionally, can you explain the time symmetry broken induced magnetism and gauge symmetry broken induced superconductor or superliquid?

Time reversal inverts linear momentum (p) and therefore angular momentum, L. It also inverts the spin, S and therefore the magnetic moment.

In a magnetically ordered material, there are well-defined expectation values of the magnetic moment. For example, in a ferromagnet there is a macroscopically observable magnetic moment. Time reversal inverts that.

One approach to systematically investigate the possible arrangements of magnetic moments is the classification into 1651 Shubnikov groups (black-and-white space groups) that are an extension of the 230 crystallographic space groups. Here one moment direction is represented by the color white, and the opposite by black. Time reversal exchanges black and white. Depending on the moment direction, this may also happen for some "normal" space group operations, e.g. a 180-deg rotation about an axis that is perpendicular to the moment direction.

1. What is inversion symmetry?

Inversion symmetry is a type of symmetry where an object or system remains unchanged after being inverted or flipped across a point, line, or plane. This means that the object or system is identical to its mirror image.

2. How is inversion symmetry related to space symmetry breaking?

Space symmetry breaking occurs when a system loses its inversion symmetry, meaning that it is no longer identical to its mirror image. This can happen due to external factors such as magnetic fields or internal factors such as interactions between particles.

3. What is the significance of understanding inversion symmetry and space symmetry breaking?

Understanding these concepts is important in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and materials science. It allows us to predict and manipulate the behavior of systems and materials, and is crucial in the development of new technologies.

4. Can inversion symmetry be broken in nature?

Yes, inversion symmetry can be broken in nature. In fact, it is quite common in many physical and chemical systems. One example is the chiral molecules found in living organisms, which have a different spatial arrangement than their mirror images.

5. How do scientists study and analyze inversion symmetry and space symmetry breaking?

Scientists use various experimental techniques, such as X-ray diffraction and optical microscopy, to study the structural and optical properties of materials and systems. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to analyze and understand the underlying principles of inversion symmetry and space symmetry breaking.