[Help]How to separate spin glass and spin liquid experimentally?

In summary, there is a pyrochlore antiferromagnetic system that has shown a cusp at 4 K in AC magnetic susceptibility measurements and a cusp at 5 K in magnetic heat capacity, both indicating a spin-glass transition. However, neutron scattering at 50 mK has shown magnetic correlations and dynamic spin fluctuations, which may not be consistent with a spin glass. Some experts have suggested that this system could be more spin-liquid-like. The question remains whether there is a distinct experimental fact that can differentiate between spin glass and spin liquid, and if temperature-dependent AC susceptibility measurements can still show spin-glass-like behavior for a spin liquid.
fuzhendong
I have a pyrochlore antiferromagnetic system. In AC magnetic susceptibility measurements, there is a cusp at 4 K whose frequency dependence follows a spin-glass behavior. There is a cusp at around 5 K in magnetic heat capacity, also suggesting a spin-glass transition.
But in neutron scattering, I observed magnetic correlations and dynamic spin fluctuations at 50 mK (well below 4 K), which maynot be reasonable for a spin glass with spin-glass temperature around 4 K. Some poeple told me this system should be more spin-liquid-like, rather than spin-glass.
I am wondering whether there is a distinct experimental fact that can separate spin glass and spin liquid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the temperature-dependent AC susceptibility measurements be still spin glass-like for a spin liquid?

1. How do I distinguish between spin glass and spin liquid experimentally?

One of the most common ways to differentiate between spin glass and spin liquid experimentally is by measuring the magnetic susceptibility. Spin glass materials exhibit a sharp peak in their magnetic susceptibility at a certain temperature, known as the spin glass transition temperature. On the other hand, spin liquid materials do not show this peak and instead have a more gradual change in magnetic susceptibility with temperature.

2. What techniques can be used to study spin glass and spin liquid systems?

There are several experimental techniques that can be used to study spin glass and spin liquid systems. Some of the most commonly used techniques include neutron scattering, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), muon spin relaxation, and specific heat measurements. Each technique provides unique insights into the properties of these materials and can help distinguish between spin glass and spin liquid behavior.

3. Can spin glass and spin liquid behavior coexist in the same material?

Yes, it is possible for spin glass and spin liquid behavior to coexist in the same material. This is known as a spin-glass/spin-liquid phase transition and has been observed in certain materials such as YbMgGaO4 and NaYbSe2.

4. How do I prepare a spin glass or spin liquid sample for experimental measurements?

The preparation of a spin glass or spin liquid sample for experimental measurements will depend on the specific material and technique being used. In general, the sample should be carefully synthesized and characterized to ensure its purity and proper structure. For techniques such as NMR and specific heat measurements, the sample may also need to be powdered and packed into a sample holder.

5. What are some real-world applications of spin glass and spin liquid research?

The study of spin glass and spin liquid behavior has broad implications in various fields of science and technology. These materials have potential applications in spintronics, which involves using the spin of electrons for data storage and processing. They may also play a role in the development of quantum computing and in understanding the properties of high-temperature superconductors.