Proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV

by flied
Tags: cross, endf, inelastic, proton-proton, protonproton, tendl
flied
Feb6-14, 10:31 PM
P: 13
Dear Forum :
I'm looking for proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV.
There are lots of results in GeV, TeV.
But I can not find the results in MeV in ENDF nor TENDL.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htm
ftp://ftp.nrg.eu/pub/www/talys/tendl...ml/proton.html
Please advise me
Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
mathman
Feb7-14, 02:57 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,941
I am not familiar with the particular interaction. However I wonder if at those energies the only reaction is elastic sacattering?
mfb
Feb7-14, 06:36 PM
Mentor
P: 10,853
The first inelastic collision via the strong force should be pion production at ~150 MeV, probably with a negligible cross-section at this energy.

p+p -> p+n+positron+antineutrino (or deuterium instead of p+n) would have a lower threshold, but as the process happens via the weak interaction the cross-section is completely negligible.

snorkack
Feb8-14, 01:39 AM
P: 361

Proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV

Quote Quote by mfb View Post
p+p -> p+n+positron+antineutrino (or deuterium instead of p+n) would have a lower threshold,
p+p -> d+positron+neutrino should have NO threshold, because it releases energy - but also a low cross-section because it is weak interaction.

But there should be some electromagnetic interaction inelastic collisions, because protons are charged.
p+p -> p+p+γ... whether the energy of the said photon is γ, x-ray, UV, visible, infrared or radio waves. How does the cross-section of braking radiation compare wit the cross-section for elastic collision?
Starting from threshold of 1022 keV, there will also be electromagnetic interaction of
p+p -> p+p+e-+e+
So in that region, how are the comparative cross-sections of elastic collision, braking radiation and pair production?
flied
Feb8-14, 03:20 AM
The question arose to me when I do a simulation on FLUKA,
there is inelastic scattering length 9.1E9 cm of proton-proton(H) in 10MeV.
9.1E9 cm which converting to 0.011mb.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gul3dibeql...20Material.JPG
It is really small compare to other process or elastic scattering of p-p.
I just wonder where could I find other resource to compare with it ?
mfb
Feb8-14, 08:45 AM
Mentor
P: 10,853
Quote Quote by snorkack View Post
p+p -> d+positron+neutrino should have NO threshold, because it releases energy - but also a low cross-section because it is weak interaction.
Right. But below the MeV scale you need long-range tunneling, and the cross-section gets even worse.
Completely negligible when you want to simulate processes in FLUKA.

But there should be some electromagnetic interaction inelastic collisions, because protons are charged.
I don't think they are called inelastic in high-energy physics, but that's probably just a question of definitions.

Starting from threshold of 1022 keV, there will also be electromagnetic interaction of
p+p -> p+p+e-+e+
Right. Again, should be completely negligible.

I don't see 9.1E9 in this table, but this is scattering at hydrogen, not at protons. Ionization could count towards the value, or the result is just a relict of some extrapolation.
flied
Feb8-14, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry for 9.1E9cm, should be 0.16E+10 cm , converting to 0.11 mbarns.
Also, it should be hydrogen instead of proton.
However, is there other resources to compare ?

Register to reply