Big Bang and the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy?

In summary, it seems that no one has come up with a solution as to what happened before the Big Bang, and according to some theories, the primordial atom may have either existed forever or had been in an everlasting cycle of expansion and contraction. If the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy is not to be violated, then how can we explain the appearance of the primordial atom?
M Telepathic
Hi, I'm a high school student and a new member, and upon reading I found something that's quite disturbing for me.
It seems that no one ever came up with a solution as to what happened before the Big Bang; I'm wondering, unless we bring in quantum fluctuations, do we have to assume that the primordial atom either existed forever or had been in an everlasting cycle of expansion and contraction? Also, if the primordial atom was this small, and it contained all the matter and energy present in the universe today, then wouldn't the atom become a black hole? If the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy is not to be violated, then how can we explain the appearance of the primordial atom? Thanks...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
M Telepathic said:
Hi, I'm a high school student and a new member, and upon reading I found something that's quite disturbing for me.
It seems that no one ever came up with a solution as to what happened before the Big Bang; I'm wondering, unless we bring in quantum fluctuations,...

try this seminar talk
http://www.phys.psu.edu/events/index.html?event_id=1320&event_type_ids=0&span=2005-08-20.2005-12-25

it is called
Recent Advances in Quantum Cosmology
Institute for Gravitational Physics and Geometry Seminar by Parampreet Singh from Penn State
Monday at 3:00 PM in 318 Osmond (11/28/2005)

it is an audio recording from a November seminar talk

here are all the Penn State seminars. select "this semester" from the menu to get fall 2005, recent ones
http://www.phys.psu.edu/events/index.html

another, from earlier in the semester
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BIG BANG An Analytical and Numerical Study
IGPG Seminar by Abhay Ashtekar from Penn State
Monday at 3:00 PM in 318 Osmond (8/29/2005)

http://www.phys.psu.edu/events/index.html?event_id=1257&event_type_ids=0&span=2005-08-20.2005-12-25

this only has the lecture slides, no audio recording

there are journal articles and popular articles too, I just happen to have these links handy. there is a lot more. people are studying the other side of the big bang a lot these days. some computer studies.
beginnng to be some predictions of a quantum big bang "signature" that astronomers may be able to look for and thereby test the theories to see if they are right

also look here
http://loops05.aei.mpg.de/
a recent international conference
look at the program on Friday---it is all about quantum big bang
and one of the lead talks is by Ashtekar from Penn State
http://loops05.aei.mpg.de/index_files/Programme.html

click on the names of people giving talks on Friday, on this program, mostly after Ashtekar---it will give the brief summary of the talk and sometimes a link to slides

the audio and video links are broken at the moment however

the studies of before the big bang is a fast moving field, so this October 2005 conference is OK and also the more recent stuff, like the November seminars. Good idea to keep up to date----and stay away from popularizations

others may have different advice---that's mine
you won't find certainties---the field is in flux, active research area

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many experts here [which is a good thing!]... marcus gave you all you need. Science ends where the universe began. It's a first cause thing.

Thanks a lot, guys! I really appreciate it

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How does the Big Bang theory relate to the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The Big Bang theory follows this law by explaining that all the matter and energy in the universe was present at the moment of the Big Bang and has been changing forms and expanding since then.

3. Is the Big Bang theory proven?

While the Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted scientific explanation for the origin of the universe, it is not considered to be proven. This is because scientists are still gathering evidence and conducting research to better understand the early stages of the universe.

4. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the redshift of distant galaxies. These observations align with the predictions made by the Big Bang theory.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Big Bang?

Yes, there are alternative theories to the Big Bang, such as the Steady State theory and the Oscillating Universe theory. However, these theories have not been supported by as much evidence as the Big Bang theory and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.