Help , liquid-liquid extracction

• Thread starter daysyworld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a problem with separating two liquids with similar boiling points using liquid-liquid extraction. The goal is to obtain a specific ratio of the two liquids in the extract and refined quantities while taking into account the feed composition and reflux relation. The problem also involves using different mathematical approaches such as an equilateral triangle, right triangle, and a solvent-free coordinate graph. The person seeking help is asked to show their work and where they are stuck before receiving assistance.
daysyworld
Hello, I've been two days trying to resolve this problem and I can't.

I will try to translate it.

To liquid, A and B have very similar boiling point. Because of that would be separate by liquid-liquid extraction with a dissolvent C.

Calculate the minimum quantity of extract we have to return of the product of extract and the refined quantity to obtain a 82% A 17% B extract ( solvent free basis) and 10% A 90% B refined ( solvent free basis too).

Feed is 35% A, 65 % B ( solvent free) and it is a saturated refined.

Calculate the ideal number of stages at the both sides of feeding with the same feed to get the same final product when the reflux relation (on kg of extract with solvent) / kg of extract product is the double of the minimun value

The feed is 1000kg .

Do on equilateral triangle, rectangle triangle and solvent free coordinate graph.

Thank you very very much.

Attachments

• P1011346_.jpg
    P1011346_.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 494
Engineering news on Phys.org
This looks like a homework problem. The forum rules are that you need to show your work before you get help. What have you attempted with this problem, and where are you stuck?

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble with a liquid-liquid extraction problem and have been working on it for two days without success. I will try my best to help you with this.

From what I understand, you have two components A and B with very similar boiling points, and you want to separate them using a solvent C through liquid-liquid extraction. The goal is to obtain an 82% A and 17% B extract (solvent-free basis) and a 10% A and 90% B refined product (solvent-free basis). The feed you are working with is 35% A and 65% B (solvent-free) and is saturated.

To calculate the minimum quantity of extract you need to return and the refined quantity to obtain the desired percentages, you will need to use the mass balance equation:

F = E + R

Where F is the feed, E is the extract, and R is the refined product. You can also use the solvent-free basis equation to determine the quantities:

F = E + R + S

Where S is the solvent.

To calculate the ideal number of stages needed on both sides of the feed, you will need to use the McCabe-Thiele method. This method uses the reflux ratio (kg of extract with solvent/kg of extract product) to determine the number of stages needed for separation. The reflux ratio in this case is double the minimum value, so you will need to use that value in your calculations.

I am not sure what you mean by "do on equilateral triangle, rectangle triangle, and solvent-free coordinate graph." Can you please clarify what you need help with in regards to these shapes and graphs?

I hope this information helps you solve your problem. If you need further clarification or assistance, please let me know. Best of luck!

1. What is liquid-liquid extraction?

Liquid-liquid extraction is a separation technique used to isolate a particular compound or component from a liquid mixture. It involves the transfer of the desired compound from one liquid phase to another using a solvent that is immiscible with the original mixture.

2. How does liquid-liquid extraction work?

Liquid-liquid extraction works based on the principles of solubility and partitioning. The desired compound is dissolved in one liquid phase and then transferred to the other phase, where it is more soluble. This allows for separation from the original mixture.

3. What are the advantages of liquid-liquid extraction?

Liquid-liquid extraction offers several advantages, including high selectivity, fast and efficient separation, and the ability to process large quantities of samples. It also requires minimal equipment and is a cost-effective method compared to other separation techniques.

4. What are the common applications of liquid-liquid extraction?

Liquid-liquid extraction is commonly used in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, environmental analysis, and chemical production. It is also a crucial step in the purification of natural products and the isolation of organic compounds for further analysis.

5. What factors influence the efficiency of liquid-liquid extraction?

The efficiency of liquid-liquid extraction can be affected by several factors, such as the choice of solvents, the ratio of the two liquid phases, temperature, and agitation. It is essential to optimize these parameters to achieve the best results in the separation process.