Cycle time of different methods of metal manufacturing

In summary, calculating the cycle time for metal manufacturing can be challenging, but by breaking down the production process, reaching out to other manufacturers, and seeking advice from experienced colleagues, you can get a better understanding of the time it takes to produce waterpipe fittings.
karenlau
Hi all,

Currently I am in my internship, so I don't have any real experience in metal manufacturing.

I have a difficulty of calculating the cycle time of producing a product. The product is a waterpipe fitting. The Fitting itself has 3 different types (Straight, 90-degrees elbow, and T-Fitting) with different diameters for each diameters. There are several methods that I have already thought such as casting(sand, die, investment, etc), machining, hydroforming. But the problem is my supervisor needs figures(numbers) for the cycle time of each methods.

Anyone of you can help me to clarify this problems? I have emailed a few of the producers of those machines whether they are capable of making the fittings, but I still don't get any response from them.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Calculating the cycle time for metal manufacturing can be a difficult task, especially when you are dealing with different types and sizes of products. However, there are a few things you can do to help you with this problem.

First, you can start by breaking down the production process into smaller steps and estimating the time it takes to complete each step. For example, in the case of casting, you can estimate the time it takes to prepare the mold, pour the molten metal, and cool the product. This will give you an idea of the total cycle time for casting. You can do the same for other methods such as machining and hydroforming.

Second, you can try reaching out to other manufacturers who have experience in producing similar products. They may be able to provide you with some estimates or even share their own cycle time calculations with you. This can give you a better understanding of the time it takes to produce waterpipe fittings.

Lastly, don't be afraid to consult with your supervisor or other experienced colleagues within your internship. They may have some insights or tips that can help you in your calculations. It's always important to seek advice and collaborate with others in the field.

I hope this helps and good luck with your internship!

1. What is the cycle time of traditional metal manufacturing methods?

The cycle time of traditional metal manufacturing methods can vary greatly depending on the specific method used, the complexity of the product being manufactured, and other factors. However, on average, traditional methods such as casting, forging, and machining can take anywhere from several hours to several days to complete.

2. How does the cycle time of additive manufacturing compare to traditional methods?

Additive manufacturing, also known as 3D printing, typically has a much faster cycle time compared to traditional methods. Depending on the size and complexity of the product, 3D printing can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete, making it a much quicker option for prototyping and small-scale production.

3. Are there any factors that can impact the cycle time of metal manufacturing?

Yes, there are several factors that can impact the cycle time of metal manufacturing. These include the type of metal being used, the complexity of the product, the skill level of the operators, the efficiency of the equipment, and any additional processes or steps involved in the manufacturing process.

4. How can the cycle time of metal manufacturing be reduced?

One way to reduce the cycle time of metal manufacturing is by implementing lean manufacturing principles, which focus on minimizing waste and maximizing efficiency. This can involve streamlining processes, improving equipment and tooling, and optimizing workflow to reduce overall production time.

5. Can the cycle time of metal manufacturing be accurately predicted?

While it is possible to estimate the cycle time of metal manufacturing using historical data and other factors, it is not always possible to accurately predict the exact cycle time. This is because there are many variables that can impact the production process and cause unexpected delays or variations in the cycle time.