How to Get URL of Video on Page - Mythbusters

• Thread starter swty todd
  • Start date
In summary, you need to open the link that you're trying to download the video from, start or let the video play, right click on the background or any part of the non-flash based window and find the "Media" menu. This will download the video to your computer.
Computer science news on Phys.org

I'm not sure it's going to be possible. It's embedded using some kind of flash player that appears to be custom.

I think your best bet is to look at the page source and try to figure out if it at some point directs the flash player to load a video file; maybe that video file can be separately downloaded.

Alternately there may be computer programs around specifically for downloading flash videos.

EDIT: I didn't notice the other thread when I made this post.

okkkk...

Hope I'm not too late.

http://play-mcvideos.howstuffworks.com/2008-05/16/6928.flv?videoId=1557856523&lineUpId=&pubId=86248661&playerId=1305032385&playerTag=&affiliateId= [Broken]

Thanks to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006" [Broken] for Firefox.

Last edited by a moderator:

no , thanx, i will try

That link should be directly to the video. Just right click save as, I guess I could've mentioned that earlier, eh?

thnx sir
yes the link was directly to the video, but how did you get it?
i went to the download helper link u had given and downloaded the exe file which was in xpi format and i couldn't make it work.
i actually needed the urls to download the videos using Bit Torrent.
and between what did u want me to right click and save?
meanwhile i will try to get the software for .xpi.
thanks once again

First you must be using Mozilla Firefox 3.0.
Then once that's installed download DownloadHelper.
After Firefox restarts, navigate to the page of the video you're looking to download. When you right click you'll see "Download Helper" (or something thereof) in the context menu, hover on that and you'll see "Media" in the second context menu. When that opens up to be 6242.flv (or something thereof), click on that and Firefox or your download application will begin the download process.

Why do you need to download the video via Bit Torrent? Are there multiple videos you want to download? If so, I'll have to think about it or have someone else put in there 2 cents

http://play-mcvideos.howstuffworks.com/2008-05/16/6928.flv?videoId=1557856523&lineUpId=&pubId=86248661&playerId=1305032385&playerTag=&affiliateId= [Broken]. Right click on that and save as.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks
Finally it worked.
I download all the videos i need to watch because my net connection ,though broadband is slow and i can't afford to waste my time waiting for the buffering of the video.

Last edited:

Ahh, well you have to let the video start to load before it will show up. Once it starts buffering you should be able to find the "Media" selection.

Also, a side note: Some times I've noticed that you may have to navigate away from the page before downloading can begin. I think some servers only allow 1 connection per user.

I don't have Download helper on me here at work, but I'll take a look again when I get home tonight if you keep having issues.

Actually when I right clicked on the video playing I obviously got the flash options.
But on right clicking the link to the video gives me the "Media" option.
Presently I don't seem to have problems with the download helper except that it shows 'Media' after sometime.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Let me start off by saying that this method will not work on all embeded video players, just most of them. They're also making updates all the time.

I didn't make myself clear with my instructions early. So here is a video (attached) to explain exactly how it works.
First I open the link that you originally given me.
Start or let the video begin to play. Stop the video once you see the download helper icon at top begin to rotate.
Right click on the background or any part of the non-flash based window and you'll find the Media menu.

This will work for both the discovery channel video and this video.

Sometimes you will get multiple videos in the media option since download helper works with the application not the tab.

Note: the attached video is in a .rar format, not pdf. I've never had to upload to here before and man is it difficult. :-)

Attachments

• DownloadHelper.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 258

hey you made the video especially for me.
Thanks a lot.
I honestly don't have any words to describe how grateful I am to you for giving me your time & for all the wonderful help that I received from you.
Thanks a lot !
Thank-you...

swty todd said:
hey you made the video especially for me.
Thanks a lot.
I honestly don't have any words to describe how grateful I am to you for giving me your time & for all the wonderful help that I received from you.
Thanks a lot !
Thank-you...

Glad I could help...

Unfortunately, when I'm at work, I tend to skim and mis-read things. Glad we were able to get things cleared up for ya!

1. What is the purpose of getting the URL of a video on a page?

The purpose of getting the URL of a video on a page is to be able to share the video with others or to embed it on another website. It allows for easy access to the video without having to navigate through the entire webpage.

2. How can I find the URL of a video on a page?

To find the URL of a video on a page, you can right-click on the video and select "Copy video URL" or "Copy video link." You can also look for the video's embed code, which usually includes the URL of the video.

3. Can I get the URL of a video on any webpage?

In most cases, yes, you can get the URL of a video on any webpage. However, some websites may have restrictions or disable the option to copy the video URL. In these cases, you may need to use a third-party tool or contact the website owner for the video URL.

4. Is it legal to use the URL of a video from a webpage?

The legality of using a video URL from a webpage depends on the specific video and the terms of use of the website. In general, it is best to get permission from the video creator or website owner before using the video URL for any purposes other than personal viewing.

5. Can I use the URL of a video on a page to download the video?

Using the URL of a video on a page to download the video may be a violation of copyright laws. It is best to check the terms of use of the website and obtain permission from the video creator before downloading the video. There are also third-party tools and browser extensions that can be used to download videos, but it is important to use them responsibly and ethically.