Linear size of everything doublles overnight

• Thread starter albsac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, this conversation does not provide evidence that the size of everything in the universe has doubled overnight.
albsac
Suppose you are told that the linear size of everything in the universe has been doubled overnight. Can we perform any experiment to test this?

Here is my take on this. Please review and tell me how correct I am.

By doubling of linear size overnight, I am assuming that the distance between any two points in the universe has doubled overnight. Now 1s is defined as a certain number of time periods of a certain radiation from Cesium-133 atom. The wavelength of this radiation must have also doubled. But since the speed of this radiation = c is a constant, the frequency must have halved. So, the new 1s would be twice as long as the old 1s. In other words our clocks are running at half the speed.

Now, 1m is defined as the distance traveled by light in a certain time (let us call it t). Now our new clock would report t time has elapsed when in reality 2t time would have elapsed. In other words, our measurement will report a length of 2m to be 1m. So, this experiment fails to detect the doubling in linear size.

Have I made a mistake somewhere? Is there any other way to detect it then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi albsac, welcome to PF!

It turns out that the key is to distinguish between dimensionful and dimensionless constants. If all of the universal lengths changed in such a way that none of the dimensionless constants were changed, then the change would not be measurable. On the other hand, if the dimensionless constants were to change, then the difference would be measurable.

See:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2011753&postcount=55
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2015734&postcount=68

albsac said:
... But since the speed of this radiation = c is a constant, the frequency must have halved. So, the new 1s would be twice as long as the old 1s. In other words our clocks are running at half the speed.

I would have thought that if everything, including you, the size of atoms and the distance between the stars, was linearly doubling overnight then the speed of light would also be doubling so you would have difficulty determining whether it was true or not.

You could probably tell by measuring the energy density of the vacuum. Presumably this would be getting progressively and rapidly more rarefied. This is the reason that I find expansion theories of gravity hard to rationalise.

More generally, the whole question depends on what is changing and what is staying the same. Unless that's specified, you can get pretty much any answer you like.

1. What does it mean for the linear size of everything to double overnight?

It means that the physical dimensions of all objects, including living organisms and inanimate objects, will increase by two times their original size in a span of one night.

2. Is it scientifically possible for the linear size of everything to double overnight?

No, it is not scientifically possible for the linear size of everything to double overnight. This phenomenon goes against the laws of physics and biology, which dictate that growth and expansion occur gradually over time.

3. How would the doubling of size impact the world and its inhabitants?

The doubling of size would have drastic consequences on the world and its inhabitants. It would lead to overcrowding, scarcity of resources, and potential collapse of ecosystems and food chains.

4. Are there any known instances where the linear size of everything has doubled overnight?

No, there are no known instances where the linear size of everything has doubled overnight. This phenomenon is purely hypothetical and does not have any scientific evidence to support it.

5. What are some potential explanations for the doubling of size overnight?

There are no known explanations for the doubling of size overnight. Some may speculate about supernatural or extraterrestrial intervention, but there is no scientific basis for these claims.