Sound wave interfernce on a large circle

In summary: So, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and so on are the points of constructive in one way, and 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 in the other way. From 1 to 10 we have 10 points of constructive. From 1 to 10 we have 10 points of destructive. From 1 to 10 we have 10 points of either constructive or destructive in total. So, if we say for point 1, the ratio, n, is 1, for point 2,
jwxie

Homework Statement

Given two isotropic point sources of sound [itex]\[s_{1}\][/itex] and [itex]\[s_{2}\][/itex]. The sources emit waves in phase at wavelength 0.50m; they are separated by D = 1.75m. If we move a sound detector along a large circle centered at the midpoint between the sources, at how many points do waves arrive at the detector (a) exactly in phase, and (b) exactly out of phase?

Homework Equations

When the ratio of [itex]\[\frac{\Delta L}{\lambda }\][/itex] is 0, 1, 2, or integral multiple of
[itex]\lambda[/itex], we have a fully constructive interference. When the ratio is odd multiple of [itex]\lambda[/itex] (thus, ratio is 1/2, 3/2, 5/2...etc), we have fully destructive interference.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers to both are 14.

This is what I had initially... assuming r >>> D
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14655573/110219_130715.jpg

It should be positive to say that [itex]\[s_{1}\][/itex] and [itex]\[s_{2}\][/itex] is constructive at point a, because the both will travel at identical path length.
At point b, the difference should always be 1.75m, because [itex]\[s_{2}\][/itex] has to travel an additional 1.75m (the distance of which the two sources are separated).
--edited---
but 7/2 is neither fully constructive nor fully destructive right? am i correct?

Then I am lost with how to get 14 of them. I know both have 14 because of the symmetry. But what points should I label on the circle?
I was looking up on the Internet, and we have to get the ratio, 1.75/0.5 = 3.5, and this means 7/2. But I am confused.

I know that [itex]\[L_{1} - L_{2} = n \lambda \][/itex] (constructive). What does this ratio, n, means at all?

Similarly, for destructive, we have [itex]\[L_{1} - L_{2} = (n+\frac{1}{2} )\lambda \][/itex], and n (the ratio) is 3.

How do we use the ratio, n, to solve this problem (or any interference of sound wave problems?) What is the game plan for solving any interference problems?

I appreciate any helps! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:

Homework Equations

When the ratio of [itex]\[\frac{\Delta L}{\lambda }\][/itex] is 0, 1, 2, or integral multiple of
[itex]\lambda[/itex], we have a fully constructive interference. When the ratio is odd multiple of [itex]\lambda[/itex] (thus, ratio is 1/2, 3/2, 5/2...etc), we have fully destructive interference.
Okay, what is the next number in that sequence, 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, ___?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers to both are 14.

This is what I had initially... assuming r >>> D
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14655573/110219_130715.jpg

It should be positive to say that [itex]\[s_{1}\][/itex] and [itex]\[s_{2}\][/itex] is constructive at point a, because the both will travel at identical path length.
At point b, the difference should always be 1.75m, because [itex]\[s_{2}\][/itex] has to travel an additional 1.75m (the distance of which the two sources are separated).
--edited---
but 7/2 is neither fully constructive nor fully destructive right? am i correct?
Well, what was your answer to my earlier question? :smile:

Then I am lost with how to get 14 of them. I know both have 14 because of the symmetry. But what points should I label on the circle?
I was looking up on the Internet, and we have to get the ratio, 1.75/0.5 = 3.5, and this means 7/2. But I am confused.

I know that [itex]\[L_{1} - L_{2} = n \lambda \][/itex] (constructive). What does this ratio, n, means at all?

Similarly, for destructive, we have [itex]\[L_{1} - L_{2} = (n+\frac{1}{2} )\lambda \][/itex], and n (the ratio) is 3.

How do we use the ratio, n, to solve this problem (or any interference of sound wave problems?) What is the game plan for solving any interference problems?

I appreciate any helps! Thanks
For starters, just think about points from A to B. You calculated that ΔL/λ goes from 0 to 3.5. How many integers (0, 1, 2, ...) are included in that range? That would correspond to points where constructive interference occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, Redbelly98
Thanks for the help.
Right. the next number would be 7/2.

I have 0,1,2,3 and 3 integer numbers in that range.
I know that 2pi is one wavelength.
Two problems arise:

[1] what should I label on point B? I know point a would be 0 anyway because the path difference is 0.
So point c (on the other side of point a) should also be 0? Which means I should label point b as 3.5? Doing so I did get 14 points of constructive and 14 points of destructive.

[2] The second question is, again, how do I choose the label (knowing the ratio)?? What does that tells us? As I said earlier, one wavelength corresponds to 2pi right? Moreover, earlier we said for constructive we have 3.5, or 7/2, and for destructive the ratio is 3. So what does ur last point help determing the points?

I really appreicate your guide here! Something is emerging...
:] Thanks

jwxie said:
hi, Redbelly98
Thanks for the help.
Right. the next number would be 7/2.

I have 0,1,2,3 and 3 integer numbers in that range.
I know that 2pi is one wavelength.
While 2pi radians corresponds to a wavelength, we are not talking about radians here. 1, 2, 3, etc. means ΔL is λ, 2λ, 3λ.

Two problems arise:

[1] what should I label on point B? I know point a would be 0 anyway because the path difference is 0. So point c (on the other side of point a) should also be 0? Which means I should label point b as 3.5? Doing so I did get 14 points of constructive and 14 points of destructive.
Yes, that's correct.

[2] The second question is, again, how do I choose the label (knowing the ratio)?? What does that tells us? As I said earlier, one wavelength corresponds to 2pi right? Moreover, earlier we said for constructive we have 3.5, or 7/2, and for destructive the ratio is 3. So what does ur last point help determing the points?
As I said earlier in this post, one wavelength corresponds to 1, 2 wavelengths corresponds to 2, etc.

Great. Thanks for the calcification.

1. What is sound wave interference on a large circle?

Sound wave interference on a large circle refers to the phenomenon where two or more sound waves overlap and interact with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. This occurs when sound waves travel in a circular path and intersect with each other at different points along the circle.

2. How does sound wave interference on a large circle affect sound quality?

The effect of sound wave interference on a large circle can greatly impact the sound quality. Constructive interference can amplify the sound, making it louder and clearer, while destructive interference can cancel out certain frequencies, resulting in a decrease in overall sound quality.

3. What factors affect the degree of interference on a large circle?

The degree of interference on a large circle is influenced by various factors such as the distance between the sound sources, the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves, and the shape and size of the circle. Additionally, the materials and objects present in the surrounding environment can also affect the interference patterns.

4. How can sound wave interference on a large circle be controlled or minimized?

To control or minimize sound wave interference on a large circle, one can adjust the placement and orientation of the sound sources, change the frequency or amplitude of the sound waves, or modify the shape and size of the circle. Additionally, using sound absorbing materials or creating barriers can also help reduce interference.

5. What are some real-life applications of sound wave interference on a large circle?

Sound wave interference on a large circle has various practical applications, such as in sound amplification systems, noise-cancelling technology, and musical instruments. It is also used in seismology to study earthquakes and in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound.