Who was the creator of principle of inertia

In summary, Galileo and Newton both developed the concept of inertia independently. Aristotle also had thoughts on the subject, but his ideas were not as advanced as Galileo's and Newton's. Descartes also had a similar concept, stating that a body maintains its velocity unless acted upon by an external force, but this was not as well-known as Galileo's work.
Aikon
Hi all,

It is really a history question.
I read that Galileu developed the concept of inertia, but today I knew it from Newton's 1st law. So my question is: Both of them arrived at the idea independently? Was Newton aware about Galileu's work and used the law because it is the basis for his 2nd law F=ma?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
Every human, independent of the precise definition of that word in terms of our ancestors, discovers this concept before he/she learns a language.
Galileo and Newton just made them more accessible to a quantitative analysis.

mfb said:
Every human, independent of the precise definition of that word in terms of our ancestors, discovers this concept before he/she learns a language.
Galileo and Newton just made them more accessible to a quantitative analysis.

Not quite true. Aristotle thought that things would slow down (he didn't consider the role of friction). Galileo preceded Newton.

Aristotle thought that things would slow down (he didn't consider the role of friction).
Conservation of momentum is a different thing. I think you need a concept of inertia to propose a violation of momentum conservation.

Galileo's notion of inertia seems to have been that bodies in circular motion keep going at constant speed. Descartes seems to have been the first to state that a body maintains its velocity (i.e. speed and direction) unless acted upon by an external force. It's stated, for example, in his 'Meditations' of 1642 (the year Newton was born).

1. Who is credited with creating the principle of inertia?

The principle of inertia was first described by the renowned physicist and mathematician, Sir Isaac Newton, in his famous work Principia Mathematica in 1687.

2. What is the principle of inertia?

The principle of inertia, also known as Newton's first law of motion, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How did Newton come up with the principle of inertia?

Newton's understanding of the principle of inertia was a result of his observations and experiments on the motion of objects. He noticed that objects tend to resist changes in their state of motion, which led him to develop the concept of inertia.

4. Is the principle of inertia still relevant today?

Yes, the principle of inertia is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is still widely used in modern physics. It forms the basis for our understanding of how objects move and interact with each other.

5. Are there any limitations to the principle of inertia?

The principle of inertia is only applicable to objects in a vacuum or in the absence of external forces. In real-world situations, there are often external forces at play, such as friction, that can affect an object's motion and make it deviate from the principle of inertia.