Intermolecular Bonding: Hydrogen vs. Ion-Dipole Bond

• Thread starter Knightycloud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, the most powerful bond depends on the situation being compared and the factors that are being considered. In some cases, hydrogen bonding may have smaller binding energies, but it is important to explore the concepts and form one's own ideas. Other factors such as constants and preferred bonding can also play a role in determining the strength of a bond. Some compounds may have a preference for one type of bonding over the other, and this can be an indicator of its strength. However, there is not a clear rule of thumb for predicting which type of bond will be stronger in a given situation.
Knightycloud
What is the most powerful bond? Hydrogen bond or Ion-dipole bond?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That will depend on the situations you are comparing and why it matters.

Can you come up with a situation where either may happen but everything else is the same so you can compare apples with apples?

I think, generally, hydrogen bonding involves the smaller binding energies, but I'd like to encourage you to explore the concepts and form your own ideas.

Simon Bridge said:
Can you come up with a situation where either may happen but everything else is the same so you can compare apples with apples?

So it's with the situation where you have to decide what's stronger relying on other facts. :D Thanks!

Sometimes you can compare forces based on the constants ... which is how we can say that the strong nuclear force is, well, strong. The interactions you are interested in are all electromagnetic and it looks like they can be roughly the same order of magnitude ...

Some compounds will prefer one form of bonding over the other right? ... the preferred bonding is the stronger.
If chemists have a rule of thumb to anticipate which, I don't know it.

Simon Bridge said:
Some compounds will prefer one form of bonding over the other right? ... the preferred bonding is the stronger.
If chemists have a rule of thumb to anticipate which, I don't know it.

As atoms and compounds are always trying to minimize the instability!

I guess other theories behind that are too much for me. I'm doing ALs. :) So I guess I won't be getting such in my MCQ paper! :D Thanks again!

1. What is the difference between hydrogen bonding and ion-dipole bonding?

Hydrogen bonding is a type of intermolecular bonding where a hydrogen atom is attracted to a highly electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen. Ion-dipole bonding, on the other hand, is a type of intermolecular bonding where an ion is attracted to the dipole of a polar molecule.

2. Which type of bonding is stronger, hydrogen bonding or ion-dipole bonding?

Hydrogen bonding is generally considered to be stronger than ion-dipole bonding. This is because hydrogen bonding involves a specific interaction between a hydrogen atom and a highly electronegative atom, whereas ion-dipole bonding can occur between any ion and any polar molecule.

3. Can any molecule participate in hydrogen bonding or ion-dipole bonding?

No, not every molecule can participate in hydrogen bonding or ion-dipole bonding. For hydrogen bonding, the molecule must have a hydrogen atom bonded to a highly electronegative atom. For ion-dipole bonding, the molecule must have a permanent dipole moment.

4. What types of substances exhibit hydrogen bonding and ion-dipole bonding?

Hydrogen bonding is commonly seen in molecules such as water, ammonia, and alcohols. Ion-dipole bonding can occur in any polar molecule, but is particularly strong in ionic compounds dissolved in polar solvents.

5. How do hydrogen bonding and ion-dipole bonding affect the properties of a substance?

Hydrogen bonding and ion-dipole bonding both contribute to the high boiling points and surface tension of substances. These types of bonding also play a role in the solubility of substances in polar solvents. In addition, hydrogen bonding is responsible for the unique properties of water, such as its high specific heat and cohesive properties.