Did you become a chemical engineer for the money?

In summary, OP's father became a chemical engineer because there were many pulp and paper mills around in Maine in the 1960s. He did not become a chemical engineer for the money.
Unicorn-Demon
I've posted questions on other forums asking people why they became engineers, and the majority of people claimed they did it because of a passion for building things, interested in how things work, etc.

However, when doing a search on this forum, I stumbled upon this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=162297

Where several chemical engineers claimed they pursued the career for financial reasons. I suppose chemical engineering isn't similar to other engineering disciplines since you're more focused on chemical reactions instead of building things, so the passion for learning how things work is non-existent here.

Anywho, why'd you become a chemical engineer? Money, passion, some other reason?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah, you deal with industrial quantities of chemicals, some of which are dangerous and/or explosive if not handled correctly, so you put in charge of supervising this potential mayhem someone whose 'passion for learning how things work is non-existent.'

Chemical engineers not only have to be familiar with handling a multitude of different chemicals and understanding various chemical reactions, but often they must design industrial processes which utilize this material. It is true that chemical engineering as a profession can be financially rewarding. Undoubtedly, there are people who enter various engineering fields because the financial benefits are attractive. I'm sure that people enter other professions because these positions are more remunerative than being a fry cook. Assuming that a majority select an engineering profession solely for financial reward ignores the fact that other professions, or even some trades, could provide an equivalent standard of living with a lot less preparation, study, and training.

I've been a chemical engineer throughout my career, and I've loved it. I've often said that I would do this stuff for free. Reaction kinetics and reactor design are a big area in chemical engineering. However, it is not the only area. Another major area is the application of physical chemistry and thermodynamics to design and operate equipment to purify the products of the chemical reactions (separation processes). Also, the temperature of the materials involved in the process needs to be controlled and changed, and this involves heat transfer equipment. We also need to design and operate pumps and compressors for moving the materials through the process. The main job of chemical engineers is the design, operation, and improvement of process equipment for making the desired chemicals: distillation towers, heat exchangers, absorbers, chemical reactors, cooling towers, pumps, compressors, ion exchange columns, dryers, granular beds, extruders, piping.

chet

I always thought ChEs covered a lot of mechanical subjects, but I wasn't sure.

OP has been trolling around with this question before in another PF forum.

SteamKing said:
I always thought ChEs covered a lot of mechanical subjects, but I wasn't sure.

OP has been trolling around with this question before in another PF forum.

Hi SteamKing,

I'm guessing that you are a chemical engineer also, so you are already aware that ChEs cover a lot of mechanical subjects also. I just wanted to keep my response to the OP focused on the main areas. Our training as ChEs qualifies us to work on problems in solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, polymer processing (rheology), hydrology and groundwater, heat transfer (besides heat exchangers), atmospheric science, etc. I've worked in all these areas during my career, in addition to chemical process modeling. All of it has been great fun.

Chet

Sorry, not a ChE, but my father started to study ChE before he switched to Industrial Engineering. I still have his Perry's Handbook (more like an olive drab doorstop) from a million years ago, though, and some of his other college texts.

Just didn't like the OP's hasty generalizations about chemical engineers from this post and about other engineers from another similar thread he started recently. I'm actually a naval architect and marine engineer, so our stuff not only has to work, but it must float as well.

SteamKing said:
Sorry, not a ChE, but my father started to study ChE before he switched to Industrial Engineering. I still have his Perry's Handbook (more like an olive drab doorstop) from a million years ago, though, and some of his other college texts.

Just didn't like the OP's hasty generalizations about chemical engineers from this post and about other engineers from another similar thread he started recently. I'm actually a naval architect and marine engineer, so our stuff not only has to work, but it must float as well.
Interesting. When my daughter Diane got her PhD in ChE, I gave her my old olive drab Perry's Handbook from 1962 as part of her graduation gift.

Chet

I started studying Chem E because there were so many pulp and paper mills around in Maine in the 1960s. Not for the money, but for stability and the chance to stay in the state. Other people will have different motivations. I switched majors after I discovered that I wasn't that keen on Chem E, and paradoxically ended up in the pulp and paper industry doing research and survey work without a degree in that field. It all worked out.

Good luck.

turbo said:
I started studying Chem E because there were so many pulp and paper mills around in Maine in the 1960s. Not for the money, but for stability and the chance to stay in the state. Other people will have different motivations. I switched majors after I discovered that I wasn't that keen on Chem E, and paradoxically ended up in the pulp and paper industry doing research and survey work without a degree in that field. It all worked out.

Good luck.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get your degree in and how exactly did you end up working in that particular field upon graduating?

1. Why did you choose to become a chemical engineer?

I chose to become a chemical engineer because I have always been interested in chemistry and how it can be applied to solve real-world problems. I also enjoy the challenge of designing and optimizing processes to improve efficiency and sustainability.

2. Is chemical engineering a high-paying field?

Yes, chemical engineering is generally considered a high-paying field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for chemical engineers in 2020 was $108,540. However, salary can vary depending on factors such as industry, location, and experience.

3. Did you become a chemical engineer solely for the money?

No, I did not become a chemical engineer solely for the money. While the salary was certainly a factor in my career choice, I also have a genuine interest in the field and enjoy the work that I do.

4. Are there other benefits to being a chemical engineer besides the salary?

Yes, there are many benefits to being a chemical engineer besides the salary. This field offers the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research and technology, collaborate with diverse teams, and make a positive impact on society through the development of new products and processes.

5. How do you handle the pressure of a high-paying job in chemical engineering?

Like any job, there will be moments of pressure and stress in chemical engineering. However, I have learned to manage my time effectively, prioritize tasks, and communicate openly with my team to ensure the success of projects. Additionally, I have a strong passion for my work which helps me to stay motivated and focused.