Interesting problem i came acrosss

• Thread starter oneomega
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation discusses two curves, y=a^x and y=b^x, and the angle between them at their point of intersection. The general method for finding this angle is using the tangent function, but the issue with a^x and b^x is that the point of intersection cannot be found. The conversation also mentions that x must be 0 for both functions to equal 1.
oneomega
okay,
there are two curves: curve1: y=a^x and curve2: b^x. what is the angle between them at their point of intersection. given that (a≠b).
My general method:
if i wanted angle b/w the curves y=x^2 and y=(x-2)^2, i would easily do it.
let A be angle b/w them,
then, tanA= [tan(m1)-tan(m2)]/1-tanm1.tanm2
can be used at their point of intersection.this is what my textbook says. but the problem with a^x and b^x is that I CANNOT FIND THE POINT OF INTERSECTION. which brings me to the very basic question, how can we find pt of intersection of curves like this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
a small addendum, what i actually mean by angle b/w curves is the angle b/w their tangents at that point.

a^(x)=b^(x)-->(a/b)^x=1.
What does that tell you x must be, when "a" does not equal "b"?

you tell me, is there something wrong with this problem?

beacuse, at the same x point, a and b has to be equal to get you to the same y value as the equation suggests

oh wait, i got it, x mustt be zero, so that for diff values of a and b, they get you the same y value.
i got it now.

That's right!
:smile:
Both functions equal 1 when x=0

Likes 1 person
i'm not this dumb usually, its just that i got stuck here. thanks a lot.

1. What exactly is the interesting problem you came across?

The interesting problem I came across is a phenomenon where a certain species of plants in the Amazon rainforest display unique patterns of growth that cannot be explained by traditional biological theories.

2. How did you first discover this problem?

I first discovered this problem while conducting a field study on plant growth in the Amazon rainforest. I noticed that a particular species of plants showed irregular growth patterns that did not match any known plant growth models.

3. What makes this problem significant?

This problem is significant because it challenges our current understanding of plant growth and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field of biology.

4. Have you come up with any potential explanations for this phenomenon?

Yes, I have hypothesized that this unique growth pattern may be caused by a symbiotic relationship between the plant and a specific microorganism found in the soil of the Amazon rainforest.

5. What are your plans for further research on this problem?

I plan to conduct further experiments and collect more data to support my hypothesis and potentially identify the exact mechanism behind this interesting phenomenon. I also hope to collaborate with other scientists and experts in the field to gain more insights and perspectives on this problem.