Register to reply

Balancing redox reactions?

by sbhit2001
Tags: balancing, reactions, redox
Share this thread:
sbhit2001
Nov15-13, 06:21 AM
P: 17
I understand the concept of balancing chemical equations but in the case of redox reactions I don't understand the physical meaning of balancing in acid medium and balancing in Basic medium. Sure, I know how to balance the equation but I want to know what it means physically. Why do we need to balance differently for different media? How is the medium related to the balancing of an equation? Can someone please throw some light on this?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Chemists develop new formulation for the generation of green flames
Four billion-year-old chemistry in cells today
Borek
Nov15-13, 06:54 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
To some extent there is no difference, it is just a matter of what is available in the solution (and sometimes of what is more convenient). When we balance reaction that occurs in a very low pH (like permanganate getting reduced to Mn(II)) it is more logical to balance hydrogen and oxygen using H+ and water:

MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e- → Mn2+ + 4H2O

than it would be to balance them with water and OH- (even if technically it is possible:

MnO4- + 4H2O + 5e- → Mn2+ + 8OH-

and the stoichiometry would be correct, just the reaction doesn't proceed like that).

Register to reply