How do proteins get into the blood stream?

In summary, lymphatic capillaries are permeable to proteins and lack tight intercellular junctions, allowing large molecules like insulin to enter the blood stream when injected subcutaneously. This explains how proteins are able to reach the blood stream despite their size.
Tanarif
Hi there,

So I'm asking this in reference to the injection of insulin, which is commonly done subcutaneously (in the hypodermis, a fatty part of skin). Now I know proteins usually get into the blood when digested through the stomach/intestines - but I was wondering how they manage to get into the blood when injected into muscles/fat? I know there are capillaries pretty much everywhere, but from what I've researched proteins are too large to get through capillary walls.

That begs the question then, how do proteins manage to get into the blood stream when injected? I can't really envisage large capillaries, because surely they'd have huge holes in them or whatever to allow large proteins like insulin in. Any help on this one?

Cheers

Biology news on Phys.org
Tanarif said:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

That begs the question then, how do proteins manage to get into the blood stream when injected? I can't really envisage large capillaries, because surely they'd have huge holes in them or whatever to allow large proteins like insulin in. Any help on this one?

Cheers

Lymphatic capillaries are permeable to proteins. They lack tight intercellular junctions and are permeable to many kinds of molecules.

http://jcb.rupress.org/content/50/2/300.full.pdf

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Lymphatic capillaries are permeable to proteins. They lack tight intercellular junctions and are permeable to many kinds of molecules.

http://jcb.rupress.org/content/50/2/300.full.pdf

Ah thanks a ton, precisely what I was looking for.

1. How are proteins able to enter the blood stream?

Proteins can enter the blood stream through various mechanisms, such as passive diffusion, active transport, and transcytosis. Passive diffusion occurs when small or lipid-soluble proteins can passively move across the cell membrane and into the blood stream. Active transport involves the use of carrier proteins to actively transport specific proteins across the cell membrane. Transcytosis is a process where proteins are taken up by a cell through endocytosis, transported across the cell, and then released into the blood stream through exocytosis.

2. What role do the kidneys play in protein entry into the blood stream?

The kidneys play a crucial role in regulating protein levels in the blood stream. They filter excess proteins from the blood and reabsorb essential proteins to maintain proper levels in the blood. The glomeruli, tiny filtering units in the kidneys, allow small proteins to pass through while larger proteins are retained in the blood.

3. Can proteins enter the blood stream through the digestive system?

Yes, proteins can enter the blood stream through the digestive system. Proteins are broken down into amino acids during digestion, and these amino acids are absorbed into the blood stream through the walls of the small intestine. From there, they are transported to the liver, where they are used to synthesize new proteins or released into the blood stream for use by other cells.

4. How do proteins get into the blood stream from the tissue?

Proteins can enter the blood stream from tissue through the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is a network of vessels and nodes that collects excess fluid from tissues and returns it to the blood stream. This fluid, called lymph, also contains proteins that have leaked out of the blood vessels. The lymphatic vessels eventually connect to larger veins, which then transport the lymph and its proteins back into the blood stream.

5. What happens to proteins once they enter the blood stream?

Once proteins enter the blood stream, they can be transported to various parts of the body to perform their specific functions. Some proteins, such as antibodies and hormones, travel to target cells to carry out their actions. Other proteins, such as albumin, help regulate osmotic pressure and transport essential molecules like hormones and fatty acids. Excess proteins are filtered by the kidneys and excreted in the urine.