Register to reply

Does sodium ion effect electrolysis of water?

by kevin_tee
Tags: effect, electrolysis, sodium, water
Share this thread:
kevin_tee
Nov22-13, 04:32 AM
P: 56
Does sodium ion effect electrolysis of water? Especially in sodium polyacrylate, which release sodium ion when absorbs water. In other words, if I try to do electrolysis of water in hydrated sodium polyacrylate will it be successful.(Produce hydrogen and ignoring bubble trap inside the gel)

If I understand correctly, Na+ have much less standard electrode potential than H+ so sodium shouldn't be reduce. Meaning electrolysis will produce hydrogen and oxygen regularly, am I right?

Thanks very much
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Chemists develop new formulation for the generation of green flames
Four billion-year-old chemistry in cells today
adjacent
Nov22-13, 05:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,463
Yes you are right.In the reactivity series,Na is more
reactive than H.So H+ ions gets discharged more easily.
Borek
Nov22-13, 05:46 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
You are right about products being oxygen and hydrogen, but presence of any other ions (even if they don't react on electrodes) can't be ignored. They change water conductivity (the more the ions, the higher the conductivity), so you need lower voltage to overcome iR loses. That in turn means presence of spectator ions speeds up the electrolysis.

kevin_tee
Nov22-13, 06:22 AM
Does sodium ion effect electrolysis of water?

Thank for reply so Na+ ion won't be reduce. How about anion polyacrylate chain, will it be oxidize? Any body have an idea?
Borek
Nov22-13, 06:33 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
It is immobilized, so it doesn't go to electrode. If it were in a direct contact than who knows what would happen.

I believe at least some carboxylic acids can be oxidized to CO2 during electrolysis, but I am not sure.
kevin_tee
Nov22-13, 07:02 AM
Thanks to all replies. This help me very much in my science national competition. I will report my finding when I am ready. I research about Conversation of ultrasonic vibration energy into hydrogen by electrolysis of water using piezoelectric property of ZnO in aqueous solution. Thanks.
adjacent
Nov22-13, 07:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,463
Quote Quote by kevin_tee View Post
Thanks to all replies. This help me very much in my science national competition. I will report my finding when I am ready. I research about Conversation of ultrasonic vibration energy into hydrogen by electrolysis of water using piezoelectric property of ZnO. Thanks.
Good luck

Register to reply