Community College Lab Field Trips

In summary, a chemistry lab might want us to visit in order to recruit better students, and someone may want to spend their time helping us because it can be a recruiting tool or to arrange a reciprocal visit.
ChiralWaltz
I'm the communications officer for our community college American Chemical Society chapter. I would like to have professionals involved in the industry influence us students that are in the academic setting. I believe that the insight they have may have could be a good way to cultivate professional development.

Why would a chemistry lab want us to visit and why would someone want to spend their time helping us?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ChiralWaltz said:
I'm the communications officer for our community college American Chemical Society chapter. I would like to have professionals involved in the industry influence us students that are in the academic setting. I believe that the insight they have may have could be a good way to cultivate professional development.

Why would a chemistry lab want us to visit and why would someone want to spend their time helping us?

It can be a recruiting tool for them. Generally the students who belong to groups like yours and go on field trips are among the better students. So businesses can view the time spent giving tours, etc., as time invested in recruiting.

When I was chairperson of our student IEEE society back in undergrad, we did several field trips to electronics companies in the Bay Area (Northern California). The companies even paid for the tour bus transportation...

as Berkeman said, it's the "marketing" end of recruitment. People are not likely to choose a career path they know nothing about, so companies need to show students what they do.

And it's also a lever for arranging a reciprocal visit, if the company management wants to find out what research your university department is doing!

Thanks for the replies and the ideas. I've put some thought into it and I will be contacting some local biotech companies, a crime lab and the local university. I spoke with a professor who may have some contacts, which is another route as well.

I wish we could offer a reciprocal visit but unfortunately our community college doesn't do research.

Thanks again for the help :smile:

I understand the value of hands-on experience and exposure to real-world applications of scientific concepts. Community college lab field trips offer students a unique opportunity to see the practical applications of chemistry in action and to interact with professionals in the industry. This can greatly enhance their understanding and interest in the subject, as well as help them develop important skills for their future careers.

Having professionals involved in these field trips can also provide valuable insights and perspectives for students. They can share their experiences and knowledge, giving students a glimpse into the day-to-day workings of the industry and the various career paths available in the field of chemistry. This can be a great way to inspire and motivate students to pursue their interests and goals in the industry.

Additionally, professionals may also see value in investing their time and expertise in helping students. By sharing their knowledge and experiences, they can help shape the next generation of scientists and contribute to the growth and development of the field. It can also be a way for them to give back to the community and support the academic setting that helped them in their own careers.

Overall, community college lab field trips are a beneficial and mutually beneficial opportunity for both students and professionals. They provide a practical and hands-on learning experience, as well as a platform for networking and professional development. I highly encourage the involvement of industry professionals in these trips, as it can greatly enhance the learning experience for students and contribute to the growth of the field of chemistry.

What is a Community College Lab Field Trip?

A Community College Lab Field Trip is a coordinated excursion to a laboratory or scientific facility that is organized by a community college for its students. These trips are designed to provide students with hands-on learning experiences and exposure to real-world scientific research and practices.

Why are Community College Lab Field Trips important?

Community College Lab Field Trips are important because they allow students to apply the concepts they have learned in the classroom to real-life scenarios. It also helps them gain a better understanding of scientific processes and techniques, and exposes them to potential career opportunities in the field of science.

Who can participate in Community College Lab Field Trips?

Community College Lab Field Trips are typically open to all students enrolled in community college science courses. Some field trips may have specific requirements or prerequisites, so it is important to check with your instructor or the trip organizer for eligibility.

What types of activities are typically included in Community College Lab Field Trips?

Community College Lab Field Trips can include a variety of activities, such as laboratory experiments, data collection and analysis, demonstrations by scientists, and tours of scientific facilities. These activities are designed to provide students with hands-on experience and exposure to different aspects of scientific research and practices.

How can students prepare for a Community College Lab Field Trip?

Students can prepare for a Community College Lab Field Trip by reviewing the objectives and goals of the trip, familiarizing themselves with the scientific concepts and techniques that will be covered, and bringing any necessary materials or equipment. It is also important to follow any safety guidelines and instructions provided by the trip organizers.