Register to reply

Is GL(n,C) the biggest complex manifold within GL(2n,R)?

by nonequilibrium
Tags: biggest, complex, gl2n, manifold
Share this thread:
nonequilibrium
Apr2-14, 11:30 PM
P: 1,412
So the question is simple: is [itex]GL_n(\mathbb C)[/itex] the biggest complex manifold in [itex]GL_{2n}(\mathbb R)[/itex]? Or is there another one that strictly contains it?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
homeomorphic
Apr6-14, 02:33 AM
P: 1,194
I'm not sure this question makes sense. First of all, you don't mean biggest, you mean to ask if it's maximal, which is still a fairly weird question. I mean, a complex manifold of (complex) dimension n union C^n is still a complex manifold.

As long is there is an open ball left in the complement, you can put a complex structure on that open ball, so you can conclude that any maximal complex submanifold would have to be dense in GL_2n(R) and therefore equal to it. I don't know whether GL_2n(R) can accommodate a complex structure, but this argument shows that there is never any such thing as a maximal complex submanifold of any manifold, unless it happens to equal the manifold itself. Not all manifolds have a complex structure, so if they don't, then what you would get is just bigger and bigger complex submanifolds containing any given one.

Register to reply