Caffeine and Adenosine: Exploring the Science Behind Coffee Addiction

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, caffeine blocks adenosine receptors, which can help prevent drowsiness. Even if your body becomes immune to the stimulation effects of caffeine, it will still help block the adenosine that would have normally been detected without it.
jaydnul
I've been performing a little experiment on my self lately. I would routinely drink 1-2 cups a day, so I decided to give it up to see what would happen. Even after two weeks of letting my body forget about the addiction, I feel much more unmotivated and tired. Then I started thinking about how caffeine works. It not only blocks out certain chemicals (adenosine) in the brain that signal sleepiness, it actually stimulates the adenosine detectors in the process. So I've reasoned that even if my body becomes immune to the stimulation effects of caffeine, it will still help block the adenosine that would have normally been detected without it.

Does this reasoning sound logical? They say that given a long enough use, you will need caffeine just to feel "normal". Is that entirely accurate given your experiences with drug?

Biology news on Phys.org
That's an interesting thought. Can you cite any sources about how caffeine "stimulates" adenosine detectors? Presumably it's the same receptors they act as an antagonist for?

They say that given a long enough use, you will need caffeine just to feel "normal". Is that entirely accurate given your experiences with drug?

This is often explained by homeostasis. For example, the less adenosine your body thinks it's getting, the more receptors it will make. Then you have too many receptors and, without coffee, you're getting too much adenosine. I don't know if that's the case for caffeine.

Jd0g33 said:
I've been performing a little experiment on my self lately. I would routinely drink 1-2 cups a day, so I decided to give it up to see what would happen. Even after two weeks of letting my body forget about the addiction, I feel much more unmotivated and tired. Then I started thinking about how caffeine works. It not only blocks out certain chemicals (adenosine) in the brain that signal sleepiness, it actually stimulates the adenosine detectors in the process. So I've reasoned that even if my body becomes immune to the stimulation effects of caffeine, it will still help block the adenosine that would have normally been detected without it.
Caffeine blocks adenosine receptors, so more receptors may be produced,

They say that given a long enough use, you will need caffeine just to feel "normal". Is that entirely accurate given your experiences with drug?
Please do not post without linking to approved articles that explain and back up what you post. It seems you have no need to worry.

Smithsonian said:
The good news is that, compared to many drug addictions, the effects are relatively short-term. To kick the thing, you only need to get through about 7-12 days of symptoms without drinking any caffeine. During that period, your brain will naturally decrease the number of adenosine receptors on each cell, responding to the sudden lack of caffeine ingestion. If you can make it that long without a cup of joe or a spot of tea, the levels of adenosine receptors in your brain reset to their baseline levels, and your addiction will be broken.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ted-to-caffeine-26861037/#6T6oqXe5hFUfTcZq.99

Last edited:
Jdog33 said:

Evo said:
Who says this? Please post the peer reviewed studies you read that conclude this.

This is a typical symptom of addiction and caffeine is an addictive substance, so I don't think it's that out of line.

Lol Pyth, we're posting basically the same thing on top of each other. The Smithsonian article I posted explains it all in simple terms, feel free to add others if you have them.

Last edited:

1. How much coffee do you drink on a daily basis?

I typically drink about 2-3 cups of coffee per day. However, this may vary depending on my workload and schedule.

2. Is it healthy to consume large amounts of coffee?

Moderate coffee consumption (3-5 cups per day) has been linked to potential health benefits such as improved brain function and reduced risk of certain diseases. However, consuming excessive amounts of coffee (over 6 cups per day) may lead to negative side effects such as anxiety and disrupted sleep.

3. Does the type of coffee affect how much I should drink?

Yes, the caffeine content in different types of coffee can vary significantly. For example, a standard cup of brewed coffee contains about 95 mg of caffeine, while a shot of espresso contains about 63 mg. It's important to be aware of the caffeine content in your preferred type of coffee and consume accordingly.

4. Can I get addicted to drinking coffee?

Caffeine is a mild stimulant and can have addictive properties. However, the level of addiction varies from person to person. If you find yourself relying heavily on coffee to function or experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop drinking it, it may be a sign of caffeine addiction.

5. Are there any negative side effects of drinking coffee?

While moderate coffee consumption is generally considered safe, excessive intake may lead to negative side effects such as increased heart rate, anxiety, and digestive issues. It's important to listen to your body and adjust your coffee intake accordingly.