How to Create Basic LaTeX Documents Efficiently?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who knows basic formulas and symbols in LaTeX but struggles with the PDF aspect and the .tex file. They are looking for a brief tutorial that covers the basics without all the extra information. Another person suggests The-Not-So-Short-Introduction to LaTeX, but the first person clarifies that they are looking for a shorter introduction. They then explain their method of using Google to find specific commands and suggest a shorter tutorial, such as "GSWLaTeX.pdf". Another person recommends starting with the official LaTeX website, where the program is maintained.
amcavoy
I know basic formulas / symbols in LaTeX, but I'm not too good with the whole PDF thing. I mean, once I have a .tex file I can make a PS, DVI, or PDF file no problem, but the .tex file is the hard part. Every tutorial I read is like 100 pages long. Does anyone have a brief tutorial that gives the basics (headers, line-spacing, equations, etc.) without all the extras?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I'm looking for the short introduction to LaTeX.

apmcavoy said:
I think I'm looking for the short introduction to LaTeX.

What I did was use the projects that I wanted done and then looked up the commands I needed using google and the operation I wanted to perform.

like:

"Insert picture latex"

Try this: http://www.copernicus.org/guidelines/GSWLaTeX.pdf

The first ten pages (less even) show you how to write a small latex file, and then it goes into equations and symbols etc.

PS

If you have a look at a sample .tex document with some essential elements like TOC, pictures, and formulae, then it will be the fastest way you can get these features to work.

You don't have to go through the whole not-so-short... It has an index and you can just go to the page relevant to your current problem. And it's not that much of a read anyway. Especially if you use a bit of selective reading.

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system that is commonly used in the scientific and academic communities to create high-quality documents with complex equations and symbols.

2. What are some basic formulas in LaTeX?

Some basic formulas in LaTeX include the quadratic formula, the Pythagorean theorem, and the area of a circle formula. These can all be easily formatted and displayed in LaTeX.

3. How do I input symbols in LaTeX?

To input symbols in LaTeX, you can use the \symbolname command, where "symbolname" is the name of the symbol you want to use. For example, \alpha will produce the Greek letter alpha.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my equations in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your equations in LaTeX by adjusting the font, size, and style. There are also various packages available that allow for even more customization options.

5. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

While LaTeX may have a steep learning curve for beginners, it is a highly versatile and powerful tool for creating professional-looking documents with complex mathematics. With practice and resources such as online tutorials and forums, it can be learned by anyone.