Problem involving power, mass, incline, and finding a max. velocity

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the maximum velocity of a car with a 1360.7 kg mass and an engine that can deliver 59,680 watts to the rear wheels, in order to climb a 15-degree hill. The person discussing the topic has set up a triangle with the mass as the hypotenuse and found the side opposite the 15-degree angle to be 352.17, but is unsure how to use this information to find the maximum velocity. They are seeking help and advice, as they have a test tomorrow and their teacher has not provided any guidance on how to solve this problem. They also apologize for any mistakes they have made in the conversation.
_chris_
a 1360.7 kg car has an engine which can deliver 59,680 watts to the rear wheels. what is the max. velocity at which the car can climb a 15-degree hill?

i have no idea how to solve this. immediate help would be GREATLY appreciated!

the work i have done was setting up a triangle with the mass as the hypotenuse...and found the side opposite the 15-degree angle to be 352.17...and from there i am just lost.

i don't see how using the given numbers could help find a maximum velocity. we have a test tomorrow, and this question is on it. our teacher said he would give no advice as to how to solve it. he actually suggested that we find a place much like this one in order to figure out what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh good lord. I've now made a complete fool of myself.

at first i thought there was no way to edit the topic, which i now see that there is. i also thought you were able to delete threads you started. and you cannot.

so uh. that's the reason for my uh...idiocy. i apologize.

this is driving me up a wall.

i've made no progress

1. What is the formula for calculating power?

The formula for calculating power is P = W/t, where P represents power, W represents work, and t represents time.

2. How do you calculate mass?

To calculate mass, you would use the formula m = F/a, where m represents mass, F represents force, and a represents acceleration. Alternatively, you can also measure mass using a scale or balance.

3. How does incline affect the calculation of force?

Incline affects the calculation of force by changing the direction and magnitude of the force. When an object is on an incline, the force acting on it is split into two components: the force parallel to the incline and the force perpendicular to the incline.

4. How do you find the maximum velocity in a problem involving power, mass, and incline?

To find the maximum velocity in a problem involving power, mass, and incline, you would use the formula v = √(2P/m), where v represents velocity, P represents power, and m represents mass. This assumes that the object is moving at a constant acceleration.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate maximum velocity for any incline angle?

No, the formula for calculating maximum velocity in a problem involving power, mass, and incline only works for incline angles of 0 degrees and 90 degrees. For other incline angles, you would need to use a more complex formula that takes into account the angle and other factors such as friction.