Discretization problem help

In summary, discretization is a method of approximating a continuous function by breaking it into discrete points and using finite difference approximations to calculate derivatives.
TSN79
If I have a logged temperature change over time which makes up a plottet graph. I denote this change

[tex]
{{dT} \over {dt}}
[/tex]

People have told me this can be solved using discretization, but I have no idea what that is. Apparently it is something like this:

[tex]
{{T_1 - T_2 } \over {\Delta t}}
[/tex]

but I don't really know what it means. Also, isn't a differential equation supposed to end up as a function of some variable? If so, how can an approximation like this wind up as one? Could someone explain it to me? Thx :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
If I have a logged temperature change over time which makes up a plottet graph. I denote this change

[tex]
{{dT} \over {dt}}
[/tex]

People have told me this can be solved using discretization, but I have no idea what that is. Apparently it is something like this:

[tex]
{{T_1 - T_2 } \over {\Delta t}}
[/tex]

but I don't really know what it means. Also, isn't a differential equation supposed to end up as a function of some variable? If so, how can an approximation like this wind up as one? Could someone explain it to me? Thx :smile:

Say you have logged time T = [T1,T2,T3...TN] over time values t = [t1,t2,t3,...tN]
now, if you do a plot of T vs t, you would get a curve. If all goes well, your plot may represent a function, say like Newton's law of cooling ..some exponential form may be available. Now, a continuous function like exp is continuously differentiable. Hence, assume you got a solution

T =f(t),
at any time t, you can get dT/dt leading to

dT/dt = f'(t) evaluated at some time t.

Now, this is straightforward.

Also, thiink abt a curve made up of discrete points.

So to get a change or derivative (the slope), we can also do

dT/dt at t1 = (T2-T1)(t2-t1) like forward differenced

or dT/dt at t1 = (T1-T2)/(t1-t2) backward differenced.

However, since these are first order approximations of the original functions, f(t) , your solution of evaluating dT/dt is first order accurate.

Higher order can be achieved by taking more grid points. Look at finite difference approximations.

the smaller the difference between t1 and t2, the better approximation of your time derivative.

Discretization is a method used to approximate continuous functions or data by dividing them into smaller, discrete intervals. In your case, the temperature change over time is a continuous function, but by using discretization, we can approximate it by dividing the time interval into smaller time steps. This allows us to represent the temperature change as a series of discrete values instead of a continuous function.

The notation you mentioned, {{T_1 - T_2 } \over {\Delta t}}, is an example of discretization. Here, T_1 and T_2 represent two temperature values at different time points, and Δt represents the time interval between those two points. This can be interpreted as the average rate of change in temperature over that time interval.

As for your question about differential equations, discretization is used to solve differential equations numerically. It allows us to break down a continuous function into smaller, simpler equations that can be solved using numerical methods. This approximation may not give an exact solution, but it can provide a good estimate of the behavior of the function over time.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of discretization for you. If you need further assistance, you can consult with a math tutor or do some additional research on the topic. Best of luck!

What is discretization?

Discretization is the process of converting continuous data or variables into discrete values or categories. This is often done to simplify data analysis or to make it more suitable for certain types of algorithms.

Why is discretization important?

Discretization can help to reduce the complexity of data and make it easier to interpret. It is also necessary for certain types of algorithms that can only handle discrete data, such as decision trees.

What are some common techniques for discretization?

Some common techniques for discretization include binning, where continuous values are grouped into categories, and thresholding, where a threshold is used to divide data into two categories.

What are the potential drawbacks of discretization?

Discretization can lead to information loss, as the original continuous values are replaced with discrete categories. It can also introduce bias into the data and affect the results of data analysis.

How can I determine the best discretization method for my data?

The best discretization method will depend on the type of data you have and the goal of your analysis. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs of each method and choose one that is most suitable for your specific data and objectives.