UK University Choice: Manchester vs Warwick

In summary, there is a dilemma between choosing Manchester University for chemical engineering or University of Warwick for chemistry. Manchester ranks higher in chemical engineering, but there is not much difference in quality for undergraduates. The city of Manchester has a lot to offer in terms of resources and nightlife, but it is further from London. Warwick is a quiet campus with good facilities and accommodation, but may be too isolated. Academically, both universities are seen equally by employers. It is recommended to visit both universities and decide based on personal preference. Manchester has a higher crime rate, but some have had positive experiences there.
Bladibla
Hi

I've recently got offers for chemical engineering in Manchester university and for chemistry at university of Warwick.

I've got a dilemma situation; I don't which of these university I have preference to. Although in terms of ranking in the recent 'times university guide', Manchester is higher in chem eng than chem is in Warwick, I have heard generally that for undergraduates it is not a distinguishable difference in terms of quality.

So I would be very grateful to hear your advice on this problem and if your are a current or previous student in any of these universities, if would help me if you could just spare me some of your time and share your experience of the university.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I'm at warwick at the moment doing physics... I've only been to the chemistry dept a few times.. (to raid their ice machine for one of my experiments) but from what I saw the labs looked pretty good. Great things about warwick is that it's a big campus just outside the city very spacious and pleasant on the eye.. Also the accomodation is pretty good since the university is only 40 years old (if you apply to Author Vick, Lakeside or Heronbank you're sorted! ;) ) So in terms of living and facilities on campus is has it all.

What did you think of the cities? A large part of uni life is the social side. If you can`t decied between the two on facilities consider the night life, cost of living and how far from home it is, after all you will go back home some times and keeping costs down is important.

Pesonally i`d go with Warrick, a friend of mine read Maths there and had a great time and i`m also a liverpool fc fan so living in Manchester doesn`t appeal (althought there aren`t any Man U fans in Manchester!:biggrin: )

For me, the universities were polar opposites. I liked Warwick's quiet atmosphere, short reach union and shops, and the union itself. However, I am worried that I will be TOO isolated in that 'nature' environment.

Manchester on the other hand, is a massive city: No question about resources avaliable. No trace of countryside. A downside of Man is its large distance from London: It took me 2hours and a half to get there from London compared to an hour to Warwick.

I'm not one for a long time spending on the night life. BUT that doesn't mean I like a 'philosophical' environment full of trees and nature. On my house: My parents are from a different country, so will rpobably be leaving this country when I go to university.

Good thing about Warwick though is it's only a 5min train ride away from Birmingham

Academically, there wouldn't be much point trying to distinguish between the two. In the eyes of employers, both will score equally. Unless you can choose between the courses themselves (chemistry and chem eng are very different courses), I'd just visit both and see where you like the look of.

I was at UMIST (which has now merged with The University of Manchester), chose to go there because the city is fantastic. It's only 10 minutes on a train into the Peak District for lovely countryside, but the city has everything you need, great for gigs and nightlife. The university is pretty central, - it's self contained but only a few minutes walk into the city centre. Much cheaper to live in Manchester than Warwick, but also much more likely that you'll get mugged and broken into.

Just visit them both and see where you get a good feel for. And say hi to the chem eng admissions lady from me!

brewnog said:
Academically, there wouldn't be much point trying to distinguish between the two. In the eyes of employers, both will score equally. Unless you can choose between the courses themselves (chemistry and chem eng are very different courses), I'd just visit both and see where you like the look of.

I was at UMIST (which has now merged with The University of Manchester), chose to go there because the city is fantastic. It's only 10 minutes on a train into the Peak District for lovely countryside, but the city has everything you need, great for gigs and nightlife. The university is pretty central, - it's self contained but only a few minutes walk into the city centre. Much cheaper to live in Manchester than Warwick, but also much more likely that you'll get mugged and broken into.

Just visit them both and see where you get a good feel for. And say hi to the chem eng admissions lady from me!

Just curious: Have you been mugged while you were in manchester?

Bladibla said:
Just curious: Have you been mugged while you were in manchester?

Only kinda. Some small kids threatened me with a BB gun and asked for my shopping (was walking home from Asda through Moss Side), I laughed at them and told them to stick it. The same kids were shooting at us through the fence at the back of our halls a few weeks later, we called the rozzers.

5 out of 7 of my first year housemates got mugged (just for phones and cash), and for some reason all my coursemates did too! We got burgled, which was a bit rubbish. A mate got mugged at gunpoint and marched to a cash machine but they only got £50.

Luckily I managed to avoid any direct violence, bonus.

1. What are the main differences between Manchester and Warwick universities?

Manchester and Warwick universities both have excellent reputations and offer a wide range of courses. However, there are some key differences between the two. Manchester is a larger university with a student population of over 40,000, while Warwick has a smaller student population of around 25,000. Manchester also has a more diverse student population, with students from over 160 countries, while Warwick has a higher proportion of international students. Additionally, Manchester has a stronger focus on research, while Warwick is known for its strong business and management programs.

2. Which university has a better ranking?

Both Manchester and Warwick are highly ranked universities in the UK. In the most recent QS World University Rankings, Manchester was ranked 27th in the world, while Warwick was ranked 62nd. However, rankings can vary depending on the specific subject or program being ranked, so it is important to research the rankings for your specific area of interest.

3. What is the student life like at Manchester and Warwick?

Both Manchester and Warwick universities have vibrant student communities and offer a wide range of extracurricular activities and societies. However, the student experience may differ between the two universities. For example, Manchester is located in a large city with a bustling nightlife, while Warwick has a more campus-based feel with a smaller nearby town. It is important to consider your personal preferences when choosing between the two.

4. How much does it cost to attend Manchester and Warwick universities?

The cost of attending university can vary depending on factors such as your course of study, living arrangements, and personal expenses. In general, both Manchester and Warwick universities charge similar tuition fees for UK and EU students, but Warwick has slightly higher fees for international students. It is important to research and compare the costs of attending each university to find the best option for your budget.

5. Which university has better job prospects for graduates?

Both Manchester and Warwick universities have strong reputations for producing highly employable graduates. Manchester is located in a thriving city with a diverse range of industries, while Warwick has strong connections with major companies in the business and finance sectors. Ultimately, job prospects will depend on your individual skills, experience, and qualifications, so it is important to choose a university that will provide you with the best education and opportunities for your chosen career path.