Do you people here watch The MythBusters on Discovery Channel?

In summary: Just racking up entropy i tell you :grumpy:In summary, the show is good but some of the myths are not, and the experiments are not always ground-breaking.
billthegeek
Do you people here watch The MythBusters on Discovery Channel? I think those people on the show are super weird but cool. They have also conducted several ground-breaking experiments like "Is it possible to break wind so much that you can suffocate to death? " and "Are teeth strong enough to withstand the force of a bullet?".

So, have any of you tried any mythbusting urself? Is it true that you get electrocuted if lightning strikes water tanks on top of your apartments?

Physics news on Phys.org
- toilet flushing in different direction in N or S hemisphere
- warm water freezing to ice cubes faster than cold water
- lit cigarette igniting gasoline

OK, I've never actually done these experiments, but I've always planned to.

They did a cool one on verifying that people can get killed in a car crash by stuff that they'd left on the bit covering the boot (I believe you Americans call this a trunk) launghing into the back of the person's head...

DaveC426913 said:
- toilet flushing in different direction in N or S hemisphere
- warm water freezing to ice cubes faster than cold water
- lit cigarette igniting gasoline

OK, I've never actually done these experiments, but I've always planned to.

I never tried the toilet bowl one before but i know the cigarette lighting gasoline myth is busted.
The lit cigarette does not contain enough heat or an active flame needed to ignite the accelerant.

http://mesh.medill.northwestern.edu/mnschicago/archives/2004/11/fire_expert_cha.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a good show, but I do not always agree that they have busted the myths. For instance, Is it more effecient to drive with the windows down or use the AC. They did the test at 45mph! This is simply not fast enough to create a difference. They needed to do it at 65 or 70mph. That may have shown a real difference.

Keep in mind that these guys are special effects experts, not engineers or scientists.

Yah, they do their best but they just can't compare to people that studied science in the first place.

I also wouldn't call any of their experiments "ground-breaking"... except maybe the break-step bridge because they literally broke the ground beneath them. :rofl: :rofl:

Some are ok.

I found them to be very wasteful more than anything.

Integral said:
It is a good show, but I do not always agree that they have busted the myths. For instance, Is it more effecient to drive with the windows down or use the AC. They did the test at 45mph! This is simply not fast enough to create a difference. They needed to do it at 65 or 70mph. That may have shown a real difference.

Agreed. If fact, I think an actual study showed that at low speeds it was more efficient to keep the windows open and at freeway speeds more efficient to use the AC.

Like I've said before, they often miss several important variables in their experiments.

billthegeek said:
"Are teeth strong enough to withstand the force of a bullet?"

ummm... i don't think anyone needed mythbusters to get that one right

cronxeh said:
ummm... i don't think anyone needed mythbusters to get that one right

go on their fansite. Some people believe anything.

I think the show is awesome. I don't really care if it's wasteful or wrong, I just want to see them blow **** up.

Yah, who cares if its wasteful. What does that even mean for a show to be wasteful? Do they consume tremendous amounts of coal or something?

Pengwuino said:
Yah, who cares if its wasteful. What does that even mean for a show to be wasteful? Do they consume tremendous amounts of coal or something?

just racking up entropy i tell you :grumpy:

Anyone catch the episode on the myth of one poor dude who got shot right thru his nether regions and the bullet subsequently hit a woman who got pregnant as a result of this. I wonder how they bust this myth.

What is The MythBusters?

The MythBusters is a popular television show on the Discovery Channel that focuses on testing the validity of various myths, rumors, and urban legends using the scientific method.

Who are the hosts of The MythBusters?

The show has had several hosts over the years, but the most well-known hosts are Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman. They are joined by a team of experts who assist in the experiments and provide additional scientific knowledge.

How long has The MythBusters been on the air?

The show originally premiered in 2003 and ran for 14 seasons. It has also spawned spin-off shows and specials, making it one of the longest-running shows on the Discovery Channel.

What is the scientific method used on The MythBusters?

The hosts and their team use a combination of the scientific method and trial and error to test the validity of myths. They also consult with experts in various fields to ensure accurate testing and results.

Can anyone submit a myth to be tested on The MythBusters?

Yes, the show has a submission process for fans to suggest myths to be tested. However, not all submissions are accepted and the show has specific criteria for selecting myths to test.