Determining Time When Comparing Two Equations

• Thread starter JDK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, a person who previously received helpful responses on a forum is seeking assistance once again. They pose a problem involving a car and motorcycle starting at rest with the car 25 meters ahead. The car accelerates at a rate of 3.70 m/s² and the motorcycle at a rate of 4.40 m/s². The formula d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t²) + di is used to set up two distance equations and solve for the time it takes for the motorcycle to overtake the car. After some guidance, the correct solution is found to be 8.4 seconds.
JDK
Hello all,

The last time I used these forums for help I got awesome responses. And here I am again needing help. Thought I'd just mosey on over and pop up my question I got. Here it is:

(2) A car and motorcycle start from rest at the same time form rest on a straight track, but the motorcycle is 25.0 m behind the car. The car accelerates at a uniform rate of 3.70 m/s2 and the motorcycle accelerates at a uniform rate of 4.40 m/s2.
(a) How much time elapses before the motorcycle overtakes the car?

I know that I need this formula --> d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)
And I know that it should be set up so that the two distance equations (one for the car and one for the motorcycle) are set equal to each other, so I can further solve the junctioned equation for (t). But, I seem to be having some trouble. I need to know how to go about solving this problem. Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks a lot.

- JDK

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula "d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t2)" isn't quite correct. It should be d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t2)+ di where di is the initial distance from some reference point.

In this case, if you take the point from which the motorcycle starts as the reference point, then di= 0 for the motorcycle and di= 25 for the car (since the car starts 25 meters ahead of the motorcycle).
Of course, Vi= 0 for both motorcycle and car.

For the car, a= 3.7 m/s2 so d= (3.7/2)t2+ 25= 1.85 t2+ 25.
For the motorcycle a= 4.4 m/s2 so d= (4.4/2)t2+0= 2.2 t2.

The motorcycle will overtake the car when the two d s are the same:
when 1.85 t2+ 25= 2.2 t2. That's the equation you want to solve.

Thank you. Now I understand what I need to do. My problem was not knowing the 'Initial Distance Variable'.

Vi(t) + ½(Ac)(t²) + Dic = Vi(t) + ½(Am)(t²) + Dim
(0)(t) + ½(3.70 m/s²)(t²) + 25m = (0)(t) + ½(4.40 m/s²)(t²) + 0m
½ (3.70 m/s²)(t²) + 25m = ½(4.40 m/s²)(t²)
(1.85 m/s²)t² + 25m = (2.2 m/s²)t²

... excuse my lack of knowledge in this area but next am I supposed to square each side of the equation or divide the right side by (1.85)? Or is it something completely different. I seriously must be having an off day... *embarassment* This usually doesn't happen... I've tried a few things on it but I have no idea what the right answer is... that's my problem right now...

Originally posted by JDK

... excuse my lack of knowledge in this area but next am I supposed to square each side of the equation or divide the right side by (1.85)? Or is it something completely different.
Combine the two terms that contain t2. (Subtract!)

*smacks self promptly*

Pheww... I better do a brain check... anyways, so this is what it should look like then - correct? (My symbols are showing up all googled... I'll change that...)

25m = (2.2 m/s²)t² - (1.85 m/s²)t²
25m = (0.35 m/s²)t²
25m / 0.35 m/s² = t²
71.4 s² = t²
(sqroot)71.4 s² = t
8.4 s = t

Thanks by the way! :)

Last edited:

What is the purpose of determining time when comparing two equations?

The purpose of determining time when comparing two equations is to understand the relationship between the two equations and how they change over time. This can help scientists make predictions, analyze data, and make informed decisions.

What is the difference between independent and dependent variables when comparing two equations?

Independent variables are factors that can be controlled or manipulated in an experiment. Dependent variables are the outcomes that are affected by the independent variables. When comparing two equations, the independent variables may be the same while the dependent variables may vary, allowing for a comparison between the two equations.

How do you determine which equation is more accurate when comparing two equations?

The accuracy of an equation can be determined by examining its ability to accurately predict outcomes based on data. This can be done by comparing the predicted values from each equation to the actual values obtained from experiments or observations. The equation with the closest predicted values to the actual values is considered to be more accurate.

What are some common methods for comparing two equations?

Some common methods for comparing two equations include graphing, mathematical analysis, and statistical tests. Graphing allows for a visual comparison of the two equations, while mathematical analysis involves solving the equations and comparing the results. Statistical tests can be used to determine if there is a significant difference between the two equations.

How does determining time when comparing two equations contribute to scientific research?

Determining time when comparing two equations is an important aspect of scientific research as it allows for the evaluation and understanding of relationships between variables. This can help scientists make predictions, identify patterns, and draw conclusions, ultimately advancing our understanding of the natural world.