What is the method for finding the resultant of displacement vectors?

• Thread starter Rawr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resultant
In summary, Dan found the resultant of the three displacement vectors in the drawing by means of the component method. The magnitudes of the vectors are A = 5.00 m, B = 5.00 m, and C = 4.00 m. To find the resultant, he first found the trigonometric functions of A and B and then used those to find the resultant. He also mentioned that if he is heading in the right direction, he should subtract 1.71 m from 4.33 m because it is going in the opposite direction.
Rawr
Problem: Find the resultant of the three displacement vecotrs in the drawing by means of the component method. The magnitudes of the vectors are A = 5.00 m, B = 5.00 m, and C = 4.00 m.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6690/picturels2.jpg <-- there's the picture.

I found the trigonometric functions of A and B. For A... 5 sin (20 degrees) = 1.71 m. 5 cos (20 degrees) = 4.70. Then for B... 5 sin (60 degrees) = 4.33. 5 cos (60 degrees) = 2.50.

Am I heading in the right direction? Or am I completely off course? If I am heading in the right direction, what do I do next? Do I subtract 1.71 m from 4.33 m because it's heading in the opposite direction?

The answer is 3.00 m, 42.8 degrees above the -x axis, but I have no clue how they got that answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
With these problems, i find it easy to treat the axes just like a cartesian plane. Theres the origin (the point where the rays are coming from). With the horizontal component, if it is to the left of the origin, it is negative. With the vertical component, if it is below, it is negative.

So with that example, point A is ABOVE and to the LEFT of the origin. Therefore, we can say that the horizontal component will be negative, and the vertical component positive.

So the horizontal component would be: -5 cos 20
So the vertical component would be: 5 sin 20

So that with all the of the rays, and then add the components.

Another way to do it would be to instead look at the angles each ray makes with the axis, is to look at the total angle it makes from the positive y axis, clockwise. So ray A would make an angle of 290 degrees. The horizontal component will be the the product of the magnitude and the sine of this angle, and the vertical component will be the product of the magnitude and the cosine of the angle. So:

Horizontal: 5 sin 290
Vertical: 5 cos 290

And those two components match up with the first method i posted.

-5 cos 20=5 sin 290
5 sin 20=5 cos 290

Hope that helped.
Dan.

Last edited:
you could also head to tail them in a scale diagram, however as danago explained would be more accurate and is simple once you get your head around it

1. What is a resultant in physics?

A resultant in physics is the net or overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object or particle. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual force to determine the resulting motion or acceleration of the object.

2. How do you find the resultant of two or more forces?

To find the resultant of two or more forces, you must first break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resultant and trigonometric functions to determine its direction.

3. Can the resultant of two forces ever be greater than the sum of the individual forces?

No, the resultant of two forces can never be greater than the sum of the individual forces. This is because the individual forces can only add up to a certain maximum value, and the resultant is the vector sum of these forces.

4. What happens to the resultant if the forces are acting in opposite directions?

If the forces are acting in opposite directions, the resultant will be the difference between the two forces. In other words, the resultant will have a magnitude that is equal to the difference between the magnitudes of the two forces, and its direction will be in the direction of the larger force.

5. How does the angle between two forces affect the resultant?

The angle between two forces affects the magnitude of the resultant. If the forces are acting at an angle of 90 degrees to each other, the magnitude of the resultant will be equal to the sum of the individual forces. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the magnitude of the resultant will be less than the sum of the individual forces. And if the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the magnitude of the resultant will be greater than the sum of the individual forces.