Mutual resistance between two wires

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to calculate the mutual resistance between two wires, one being horizontal and the other vertical, using a theory developed by G. A. Campbell in 1915. It is suggested to first calculate the general mutual impedance and then infer the mutual resistance as the real part.
strongton
I want to be able the calculate the mutual resistance between two wires, where one wire is horizontal and the other is vertical, i am using the theory developed by G. A. Campbell Physics review 1915 "mutual inductances of circuits composed of straight wires"

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by strongton
I want to be able the calculate the mutual resistance between two wires, where one wire is horizontal and the other is vertical, i am using the theory developed by G. A. Campbell Physics review 1915 "mutual inductances of circuits composed of straight wires"

Do you mean resistance or inductance?

I would say that you should first calculate the general mutual impedance. Then, just infer the mutual resistance as the real part. I can't remember if this is accurate, though.

What is mutual resistance between two wires?

Mutual resistance between two wires refers to the phenomenon where the current flowing through one wire affects the resistance of the other wire, resulting in a change in the current flow.

How does mutual resistance affect the performance of a circuit?

Mutual resistance can cause unwanted changes in the current flow and voltage, leading to fluctuations and instability in the circuit. It can also increase the overall resistance of the circuit, reducing its efficiency.

What factors affect the amount of mutual resistance between two wires?

The amount of mutual resistance depends on the distance between the wires, the material and thickness of the wires, the temperature, and the frequency of the current flowing through the wires.

How can mutual resistance be minimized?

Mutual resistance can be minimized by keeping the wires as far apart as possible, using wires made of materials with low resistivity, and reducing the temperature of the wires. It can also be reduced by using shielding or twisting the wires together.

Is mutual resistance always a disadvantage?

No, mutual resistance can be harnessed in some applications, such as in transformers, to transfer energy from one circuit to another. However, in most cases, it is considered a disadvantage and efforts are made to minimize its effects.