Is My Coding Program Worth Using?

In summary, the speaker has built a coding program that replaces every character with a sequence of seven 0s or 1s, then inverts the code, and finally codes every 4 bits with a new character. They mention a link to a program that can do this and also clarify that their name is not Thomas Lextrait. However, the program may not work for all character encodings and the speaker suggests using existing cryptography libraries instead. The speaker also adds that their program is more complex as it can handle situations such as removing a character from the coded text.
JPC
hey

i have built a coding program like 1 year ago

and now that i kinda studied crythography in class, i was wondering what my coding system is worth (codes text)

i won't give too much details, but my program ,

first : replaces every character by a 7 bits (sequence of seven 0s or 1s)
then inverts
then codes every 4 bits with a new character

http://thomas.lextrait.com/jpc/vbr/jpccoder.zip [Broken]

(my name is not thomas lextrait, its one of my friends servers lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
That'll work depending on the character encoding that you're using. Unicode for example, even with UTF-8 has more characters than you can store in 7 bits, so you'd be unable to get back the original string unless you restrict its usage to ASCII.

In any case, when you "code every 4 bits with a new character" you're just pretty much inserting 0000 every 4 bits, which is not very sophisticated, as is the inversion.

I would rather use some existing cryptography libraries, such as .NETs System.Security.Cryptography, and use something like Rijndaels or TripleDES.

no but what i mean is that

with my program, if you try :

- coding "a" and store result as A
- coding "b" and store result as B

the result of coding "ab" will not be the same as AB

further more if you code for example a long text, and that you take away for example a character in the middle of the coded text, the decoded text would be half wrong, and all wrong if it is in the end

So all these aspects add to my coding program's complexity

Last edited:

1. What is a coding program?

A coding program is a set of instructions and guidelines used to create computer software or applications. It involves writing code in a specific programming language to instruct a computer to perform certain tasks.

2. Is learning to code through a program beneficial?

Yes, learning to code through a program can be very beneficial. It can help improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and creativity. It also opens up career opportunities in the rapidly growing field of technology.

3. How do I choose the right coding program?

Choosing the right coding program depends on your goals and interests. Consider the programming languages and skills taught, the level of difficulty, and the teaching methods used. It's also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from others who have completed the program.

4. Can anyone learn to code through a program?

Yes, anyone can learn to code through a program. While some may have a natural aptitude for coding, it is a skill that can be learned and improved with practice. It's important to have patience, persistence, and a willingness to learn.

5. What are the benefits of completing a coding program?

Completing a coding program can provide numerous benefits such as gaining a valuable skill set, improving career prospects, and enhancing problem-solving abilities. It can also lead to personal growth and a better understanding of how technology works in our everyday lives.