Find Best Undergraduate Math Schools for Low Income Students

In summary: You should definitely apply to University of Michigan, UCLA, and Berkeley. They have great reputations for their mathematics programs. Yeah, I know you're modest, but you're not incredibly stupid, just kinda spacey...I just me ant that I'm not one of those people who can multiply 5 digit numbers in their heads and such. i'm not not an amazing student, but not a bad onei just love mathematics and would like to go to a school with a productive mathematical environment...with other students as passionate about the subject as i...
mongoose
any good state schools for undergraduate mathematics?

i'm stupid and poor

Physics news on Phys.org
mongoose said:

i'm stupid and poor

Well which state do you live in?

mongoose said:

i'm stupid and poor

poor is nothing but stupid, that'll keep you out of places.

i live in wa, but i wanted to know if there are any state schools with a good reputation for their mathematics program

oh and...

"poor is nothing but stupid, that'll keep you out of places."

i live in america

hah

mongoose said:
i live in wa, but i wanted to know if there are any state schools with a good reputation for their mathematics program

oh and...

i live in america

hah

i am probably poorer than you and also live in america, what's your point?

my point was that in america, if you're rich, the world is open to you.

if you're poor, well...no one gives a ****

so...poor will keep you out of places...not being stupid

ANYWAYS

back to the orignal question

state schools?...anybody?

mongoose said:
my point was that in america, if you're rich, the world is open to you.

if you're poor, well...no one gives a ****

so...poor will keep you out of places...not being stupid

ANYWAYS

back to the orignal question

state schools?...anybody?

in any state? you realize going out of your home state will cost just as much as a private school. and no poor will not keep you out of anywhere.

WA is Washington right? The obvious choice would be University of Washington, but I am guessing that you are implying that you are too stupid to go there. What about Washington State University?

mattmns said:
WA is Washington right? The obvious choice would be University of Washington, but I am guessing that you are implying that you are too stupid to go there. What about Washington State University?

yeah, of course I'm thinking of those schools

but i just wanted to know if anyone on this forum knows of any state schools with a good reputation for their mathematics curriculum

anybody

arizona state?

chico state?

?

mongoose said:

i'm stupid and poor

Trade school maybe?

cyrusabdollahi said:
Trade school maybe?

you know a trade school with a good reputation for mathematics?

Oh boy... I said trade school because no school is going to waste their time one someone who calls themselves 'stupid and poor'.

Honestly, if you call yourself 'stupid', do you think a 'good school for math' is going to want to see your application?

university of michigan
penn state
ucla
uc berkeley
ohio state
university of georgia
unc-chapel hill

many lac's give out scholarships. try them.

Last edited:
You'll probably get a decent undergrad education at most decent state schools. Schools are usually ranked on their individual programs at the graduate level, not so much undergrad. I go to Stony Brook, and we have a pretty good math dept. (#8 in the country for Geometry, last time I checked). Dirt cheap, if you are a NYS resident; still wouldn't be too expensive for you either, but nowhere near as cheap as for an in-stater.

tronter said:
university of michigan
penn state
ucla
uc berkeley
ohio state
university of georgia
unc-chapel hill

thanks buddy!

NathanExplosion said:
You'll probably get a decent undergrad education at most decent state schools. Schools are usually ranked on their individual programs at the graduate level, not so much undergrad. I go to Stony Brook, and we have a pretty good math dept. (#8 in the country for Geometry, last time I checked). Dirt cheap, if you are a NYS resident; still wouldn't be too expensive for you either, but nowhere near as cheap as for an in-stater.

cool man, thanks

I believe ohio state uses spivak for calculus. mathwonk is from UGA, and they also use spivak. the others are good as well. you should also try liberal arts colleges, as they focus primarily on undergraduate education. most give scholarships. smaller number of students + studying with experts = learning more.

Just curious, what did you mean by "stupid?" I know you were probably being modest, but as an out-of-stater, unless you are an amazing student, you could probably save your money and not apply to Berkeley, UCLA, and UMich.

NathanExplosion said:
Just curious, what did you mean by "stupid?" I know you were probably being modest, but as an out-of-stater, unless you are an amazing student, you could probably save your money and not apply to Berkeley, UCLA, and UMich.

yeah..i'm not incredibly stupid, just kinda spacey...i just me ant that I'm not one of those people who can multiply 5 digit numbers in their heads and such

i'm not not an amazing student, but not a bad one

i just love mathematics and would like to go to a school with a productive mathematical environment...with other students as passionate about the subject as i am

mongoose said:
yeah..i'm not incredibly stupid, just kinda spacey...i just me ant that I'm not one of those people who can multiply 5 digit numbers in their heads and such

i'm not not an amazing student, but not a bad one

i just love mathematics and would like to go to a school with a productive mathematical environment...with other students as passionate about the subject as i am

Yeah, that's what I thought. I often call myself stupid as well; hopefully I'm more modest than I am truthful.

Are you looking to stay on the West Coast? If I were you, and had really good grades/test scores/extra-curriculars, I'd try to go to a UC (like Berkeley).

mongoose said:

i live in america

hah

no... i think you are misinterpreting it. he isn't saying poor is nothing but stupid. he's saying poor is nothing, but stupid will keep you out of places. i hope.

poor=stupid? maybe that's why our market hasn't been doing so good

NathanExplosion said:
Yeah, that's what I thought. I often call myself stupid as well; hopefully I'm more modest than I am truthful.

Are you looking to stay on the West Coast? If I were you, and had really good grades/test scores/extra-curriculars, I'd try to go to a UC (like Berkeley).

i'm open to moving, doesn't really matter to me

i'd love to go to berkley...i'm going to try to go there for graduate school, i don't think i'll make the cut right now though

mongoose said:
i'm open to moving, doesn't really matter to me

i'd love to go to berkley...i'm going to try to go there for graduate school, i don't think i'll make the cut right now though

Cool. Well out here, I think some strong programs (state) are U of Maryland, Stony Brook, and Rutgers.

NathanExplosion said:
Cool. Well out here, I think some strong programs (state) are U of Maryland, Stony Brook, and Rutgers.

yeah, someone just mentioned stony brook ...i'll check that place out

tronter said:
university of michigan
penn state
ucla
uc berkeley
ohio state
university of georgia
unc-chapel hill

many lac's give out scholarships. try them.

I'm sure mathwonk would fully recommend that one :rolleyes:

I presume that is irony. Mathwonk is never particularly flattering about the content of UGA's course. That list appears to be in no particular order and has some odd places. Most oddly, given the OPs home state, it doesn't mention U of Wash (Seattle) which would be amongst the top 4 state schools along with UCB, UCLA, and U Mich.

Incidentally, poor is no barrier in the US academic system, contrary to public opinion. To quote a friend of mine: anyone who goes to Yale and actually pays 30,000 must be incredibly stupid. The means tested grants, and scholarships available to able students offset huge proportions of the cost.

Last edited:
all of those schools have good undergraduate programs. Maybe UWash. does too.

1. What factors should low income students consider when selecting an undergraduate math program?

Low income students should consider the cost of tuition, availability of financial aid, and the school's location when selecting an undergraduate math program. They should also research the school's reputation and resources for supporting low income students.

2. Are there specific scholarships or grants available for low income students pursuing a math degree?

Yes, there are scholarships and grants specifically for low income students pursuing a math degree. These can be found through a variety of sources such as the school's financial aid office, online scholarship databases, and private organizations.

3. How can low income students prepare for the academic rigor of an undergraduate math program?

Low income students can prepare for the academic rigor of an undergraduate math program by taking advanced math courses in high school, seeking out tutoring or mentorship opportunities, and practicing critical thinking and problem solving skills.

4. Are there any resources available to help low income students with the cost of textbooks and other materials?

Yes, many schools have programs in place to help low income students with the cost of textbooks and other materials. These can include textbook rental programs, discounted textbook options, and financial aid specifically for purchasing course materials.

5. What are some ways that low income students can get involved in the math community at their chosen school?

Low income students can get involved in the math community at their chosen school by joining math clubs or organizations, attending seminars or workshops, and seeking out research or internship opportunities with faculty members or local organizations. They can also connect with other low income students in their math program for support and networking opportunities.