Help with an electrostatic problem

In summary, the conversation involved a problem involving four charges fixed at the corners of a square and the calculation of the net electric field at the midpoint of the bottom side. The y-component was determined to be zero and the x-component was calculated using vector analysis. The final calculation was redone and it was discovered that the incorrect answer was due to not taking the absolute value of the charges into account. The correct answer was then obtained.
danielab87
Hi I cannot get this problem for the life of me and I have no idea why

Four charges q1 = q3 = -q and q2 = q4 = +q, where q = 5 µC, are fixed at the corners of a square with sides a = 1.3 m

Calculate the x- and y-components of the net electric field at the midpoint M of the bottom side of the square.

Ok so I know that the y component is zero. So I need the x component. First I did it from q2 to q3, where i have a vector going from q2 to the midpoint, and one going from the midpoint to q3. The magnitude of the electric field of the vector from q2 to the midpoint should be kq2/(a^2/4), which i get to be about 1.1 x 10^5. Then I need to find it from the upper midpoint to q1 (the x component of the vector from q1 to the lower midpoint. This should be equal to kq1/(a^2+a^2/4)*cos(theta). I measure the theta to be 63.4 degrees using tan(theta)=a/(a/2). so i get a magnitude of about -9.5 x 10^3 here. Then i multiply each magnitude by 2 and subtract (2*-9.5 x 10^3) from (2*1.1 x 10^5) to get a total magnitude of 2.4 x 10^4 in the x direction, but this is not correct. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here. thanks

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
danielab87 said:
Then i multiply each magnitude by 2 and subtract (2*-9.5 x 10^3) from (2*1.1 x 10^5) to get a total magnitude of 2.4 x 10^4 in the x direction, but this is not correct.
Redo this final calculation.

ok I typed in 2.4x10^4 instead of 2.4x10^5. 2.4x10^5 is not right though. is there anything in the rest of my work that you can see is wrong? thanks

danielab87 said:
ok I typed in 2.4x10^4 instead of 2.4x10^5. 2.4x10^5 is not right though. is there anything in the rest of my work that you can see is wrong? thanks

I don't think you're carrying enough decimal places (the 1.1*10^5, I have 1.06*10^5)... do you already know the answer?

no i don't know the answer, i have to type them in online, and then it tells me if I'm right or wrong. the thing is, that i have done the same calculations with the entire number, not in scientific form, i pretty much put them that way in this thread for the sake of saving time writing long numbers. i still got them wrong. i must be doing something wrong somewhere in my math, but i can't see where.

So what would your final answer be if you carried more decimal places in your calculations?

Because 2.4*10^5 is wrong, even if you just round the final answer to 2 significant figures...

ok i got it right. i wasn't taking the absolute value of the charges, which was causing me to get the wrong answer.

Well what was the answer

What is an electrostatic problem?

An electrostatic problem is a type of physics problem that involves the study of electric charges at rest. These problems usually involve analyzing the forces and interactions between charged particles and determining the resulting electric fields and potential energies.

What are some common examples of electrostatic problems?

Some common examples of electrostatic problems include calculating the electric field between two parallel plates, determining the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field, and finding the force between two charged particles.

How do you solve an electrostatic problem?

To solve an electrostatic problem, you will need to use the principles of electrostatics, such as Coulomb's law and Gauss's law, to calculate the electric field, potential energy, and forces involved. You will also need to apply the concepts of charge, distance, and direction to accurately solve the problem.

What are some common mistakes when solving electrostatic problems?

Some common mistakes when solving electrostatic problems include forgetting to account for the direction of the electric field or force, not properly converting units, and neglecting to consider the effects of multiple charges or conductors in the problem.

Are there any helpful tips for solving electrostatic problems?

Yes, some helpful tips for solving electrostatic problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, using symmetry to simplify calculations, and breaking the problem down into smaller, manageable parts. It is also important to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.