How do we grow and what does stretching has to do with it?

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
In summary: Does the bone cells just randomly start to make bone or do they need something?Bones grow both ways. Look up endochondral bone formation. That's the method used by our long bones (arm bones, leg bones, maybe some others I'm not thinking of at the moment). Mostly, the growth is in length -- one end of the bone has a non-calcified region (of cartilage?) that can stretch and call in new bone cells so that lengthening can occur. Eventually, ossification of the entire end of that bone occurs, and then it doesn't grow anymore.
Skhandelwal
As we age till an age(what is it again? 16?) We tend to become faster, stronger, taller, etc. But what is it that makes us grow? And why do stop growing? Why does stretching helps us grow?

There are exercises that I do which is weight lifting through stretching(put weight in arms then stretch by it) It makes me strong as I can then lift weights that I couldn't before. But I don't like plainly lifting weights because it stiffens my muscles up instead of relaxing them.(since relaxed muscles are good for my athlecity in table tennis, being able to move faster, etc.) So what I am wondering is that if both of them makes my arm stronger, what is the difference between them. Ex. pull ups vs. Snatch

Biology news on Phys.org
Growth is mainly genetically determined. Some things can adversely affect growth, such as poor nutrition or hormone imbalances, but stretching and exercise will not help you grow any more. You stop growing when the epiphyseal plates in your long bones fuse, preventing further elongation.

You seem to have a lot of questions lately related to growth, exercise, muscles, etc. Have you ever taken a proper biology course? If not, you should take one...many of your questions would be answered and with your current curiousity, you'd likely enjoy learning the material.

My questions are actually almost done now and yes, I have taken Bio and AP Bio in high school and I have studied bio on my own and am taking bio 200: physiology and anatomy in college and am wondering what I want to do w/ my life. But I didn't learn about these things in those classes.

Btw, why does that fuse? Why can't it keep growing?

Last edited:
Skhandelwal said:
My questions are actually almost done now and yes, I have taken Bio and AP Bio in high school and I have studied bio on my own and am taking bio 200: physiology and anatomy in college and am wondering what I want to do w/ my life. But I didn't learn about these things in those classes.
Perhaps an exercise physiology class would be interesting too, then.

Btw, why does that fuse? Why can't it keep growing?

I don't know that answer. I'd have to dig around and see if any of that mechanism is known. I do know that the fusion occurs following the pubertal growth spurts, so it may be a hormone-dependent process, but would have to see if there is anything known about the details of that process.

When it grow, does it only make the bones longer or also wider? I guess what I am trying to say is that if it doesn't stop, would that be a problem? does it grow out of the proportion?(I am guessing it does)

Last edited:
Bones grow both ways. Look up endochondral bone formation. That's the method used by our long bones (arm bones, leg bones, maybe some others I'm not thinking of at the moment). Mostly, the growth is in length -- one end of the bone has a non-calcified region (of cartilage?) that can stretch and call in new bone cells so that lengthening can occur. Eventually, ossification of the entire end of that bone occurs, and then it doesn't grow anymore.

Yes, if bones either stop growing too soon or too late, we have problems. Unless I'm mistaken, you can find good examples of this with achondroplasia and Marfan's Syndrome.

Yeah but what makes the ossification begin?

1. How does our body grow?

Our body grows through a process called cell division, where cells in our body replicate and increase in number. This process is regulated by hormones and nutrients, and continues throughout our lifetime.

2. What role does stretching play in our growth?

Stretching helps to keep our muscles and joints flexible, which is important for proper growth and development. It also helps to improve blood circulation, which delivers essential nutrients and oxygen to our growing cells.

3. Can stretching make us taller?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that stretching can make us taller. Our height is largely determined by genetics and bone growth, which is not affected by stretching.

4. At what age do we stop growing?

Most people stop growing in their late teens or early twenties. This is because our growth plates, which are responsible for bone growth, close during this time. However, our bones can still continue to strengthen and thicken throughout our lifetime.

5. Is it necessary to stretch in order to grow?

No, stretching is not necessary for growth. However, it is important for maintaining flexibility and preventing injuries, which can hinder growth and development. It is also important to engage in other healthy habits, such as eating a balanced diet and getting enough sleep, for proper growth.