Parallel plate capacitor (voltage and charge relative to distance)

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential (V) increase in PP capacitors when the plates are moved farther apart. The confusion arises from the fact that the electric field (E) decreases with the inverse square of the distance (d), while d increases linearly. However, it is important to note that the electric field remains constant as long as the separation distance is small compared to the dimensions of the plates. This understanding helps in explaining why dv increases as d increases.
swarm
Hi all.

I'm struggling to understand something about PP capacitors. Let's say there is no battery connected to a PP capacitor.

Why does the potential (V) INCREASE when the plates are moved farther apart?

- we know that: dv = -Ed (in a constant E)
however as d increases, E decreases with the inverse square of d, falling off exponetially while d falls of linearly, so since E is getting smaller faster than d is getting larger, souldn't dv decrease as d increases?

- From a non-math perspective I understand it, work must be done to pull the plates apart, thus potential energy is increased, so dv would increase. My math just doesn't agree though.

Can someone point out my error? Many thanks in advance, this has been driving me nuts for a couple days now!

Physics news on Phys.org
swarm said:
Why does the potential (V) INCREASE when the plates are moved farther apart?

- we know that: dv = -Ed (in a constant E)
however as d increases, E decreases with the inverse square of d, falling off exponetially while d falls of linearly, so since E is getting smaller faster than d is getting larger, souldn't dv decrease as d increases?
As long as the separation distance remains small with respect to the dimensions of the plates, the electric field remains constant. It does not drop off exponentially or as an inverse square with distance (as would happen with a point charge).

Thanks Doc Al, I think my problem was that I was using unrealistically high values for 'd' (1 meter or more), it makes sense now.

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is an electronic device that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two parallel conducting plates separated by a small distance and is commonly used in electronic circuits for its ability to store and release charge.

2. How does the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor change with distance?

The voltage across a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the voltage decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the relationship between the charge and distance in a parallel plate capacitor?

The charge stored in a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance increases, the charge decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the equation for calculating the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor?

The equation for calculating the voltage of a parallel plate capacitor is V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance (a measure of the capacitor's ability to store charge).

5. How can the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor be increased?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be increased by decreasing the distance between the plates, increasing the surface area of the plates, or by using a material with a higher dielectric constant (a measure of a material's ability to store electric charge).