New Yale Internet Physics resource

In summary, Yale has made Physics 200, a course on the fundamentals of physics, available for free as an internet not-for-credit resource. The lecturer, Shankar, has a reputation for being a great teacher and his book, Principles of Quantum Mechanics, is highly praised. While QM is not covered in this series of lectures, there are plans to add more courses in the future. Shankar is also known for his book on QM, which is linked on the website. Many students have found his lectures to be helpful in understanding concepts and some even hope for more advanced courses to be made available online in the future.
Peter Morgan
Gold Member
Yale has just made Physics 200 freely available as an internet not-for-credit resource:

http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/fundamentals-of-physics/" .

Shankar has a reputation at Yale for being a good lecturer. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's always nice to see the face and hear the voice and experience the personality of the author of your textbook, and here of course I mean Shankar's big red Principles of Quantum Mechanics. Great book. Thanks for the heads up Peter!

It is sad that Shankar doesn't cover QM in this series of lectures. Yale has plans that "Over the next three years, nearly 30 more courses and associated course materials will be added to Open Yale Courses", so we will have to hope for some more good Physics. See the web page http://open.yale.edu/courses/about/index.html".

thanks for posting this! I'm up to lecture 11 and it's really helping me understand the concepts, he is a good lecture and I think I'm going to find and buy his math help book too.

Thanks, Peter.

Sir Shankar mailed me that Electrodynamics lectures were unfortunately not taped.

Shankar is the man! I hope they put many more of his classes up in the future. Between him and Walter Lewin, who needs to actually go to class ;)

I accidentally stumbled across his lectures a few weeks ago. I haven't watched many (just the first five) but I can definitely say that he is a great lecturer. I haven't read any of his books though.

Peter Morgan said:
It is sad that Shankar doesn't cover QM in this series of lectures.

He does however have a book on the subject, linked to below.

http://pantheon.yale.edu/~rshankar/"

Al

Here's to hoping that they start putting more advanced courses online.

What is the "New Yale Internet Physics resource"?

The "New Yale Internet Physics resource" is an online platform created by Yale University that provides access to a variety of resources, tools, and information related to the field of physics. It is designed to support students, educators, and researchers in their study and exploration of physics concepts.

Who can access the "New Yale Internet Physics resource"?

The "New Yale Internet Physics resource" is available to anyone with an internet connection. It is primarily aimed at students, teachers, and researchers, but anyone with an interest in physics can benefit from the resources available on the platform.

What types of resources are available on the "New Yale Internet Physics resource"?

The "New Yale Internet Physics resource" offers a variety of resources, including interactive simulations, videos, lectures, tutorials, and practice problems. There are also links to external resources and recommended readings for further study.

How often is the "New Yale Internet Physics resource" updated?

The "New Yale Internet Physics resource" is regularly updated with new content and resources. The frequency of updates may vary, but the platform is constantly evolving to provide the most relevant and up-to-date information to its users.

Is there a cost to use the "New Yale Internet Physics resource"?

No, the "New Yale Internet Physics resource" is completely free to use. There are no fees or subscriptions required to access the resources on the platform.