How Does Friction Affect the Motion of Three Blocks?

In summary: Then set them equal to each other since they are connected by the same rope. That will give you one equation with the two unknowns T1 and T2. Then you can solve for T1 and T2 and plug those values into your other two equations to solve for a.
complexc25
You are given that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table in the figure is 0.560, and m1 = 0.150 kg and m2 = 0.250 kg.
(a) What should m3 be if the system is to move with a constant speed?

this is what i have:
T2 - T1 - f = m3a

m2g - m1g - ukg = m3
2.45 - 9.65 - 5.488 = 4.508kg

the answer is wrong, what is it that i am doing wrong?

Attachments

• 4-36.gif
    4-36.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
complexc25 said:
this is what i have:
T2 - T1 - f = m3a
This is good.

m2g - m1g - ukg = m3
2.45 - 9.65 - 5.488 = 4.508kg
This is not good. For one thing, the tensions are not equal to the weights.

Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass separately. You took care of M3, now come up with equations for M1 & M2.

You'll combine all three equations to solve for the acceleration and the tensions.

i don't understand, i have for:
m1
T - m1g = m1a
m2
m2g - T = m2a

complexc25 said:
i don't understand, i have for:
m1
T - m1g = m1a
m2
m2g - T = m2a
Looks good, except that the tensions are different. Use T1 for m1 and T2 for m2.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect the movement of 3 blocks?

Friction can affect the movement of 3 blocks in various ways, depending on the surfaces in contact and the force applied. Friction can either increase or decrease the speed of the blocks, or even prevent them from moving altogether.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between 3 blocks?

The amount of friction between 3 blocks can be affected by factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force applied, and the presence of lubricants or other substances.

4. How can friction be reduced between 3 blocks?

Friction can be reduced between 3 blocks by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, smoother surfaces and reducing the force applied can also decrease friction.

5. How is friction important in everyday life?

Friction is important in everyday life as it allows us to walk, drive, and hold objects without slipping. It also helps in the functioning of machines and plays a role in various sports and activities.