Diagonalization & Eigen vectors proofs

In summary, A diagonal matrix is similar to a diagonal matrix if they have the same eigenvalues. This is the proof for similarity between A and A^{2}.
Bertrandkis

Homework Statement

Question 1:
A) Show that if A is diagonalizable then [tex]A^{T}[/tex] is also diagonalizable.

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that [tex]A[/tex] is diagonalizable if it's similar to a diagonal matrix.
So
[tex]A[/tex]=[tex]PDP^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]A^{T}[/tex]=[tex](PDP^{-1})^{T}[/tex]
which gives
[tex]A^{T}[/tex]=[tex](P^{-1})^{T}DP^{T}[/tex] as [tex]D=D^{T}[/tex]
Hence [tex]A^{T}[/tex] is diagonalizable

Homework Statement

Question 2
If A and B are Similar matrices, then show that [tex]A^{2}[/tex] and [tex]B^{2}[/tex]
are similar

If A and B are similar then [tex]P^{-1}AP[/tex] = [tex]B[/tex]

We know that [tex]P^{-1}A^{k}P[/tex] =[tex]D^{k}[/tex]
let k=2 therefore
[tex]P^{-1}A^{2}P[/tex] =[tex]B^{2}[/tex]
hence [tex]A^{2}[/tex] and [tex]B^{2}[/tex] are similar

Homework Statement

Question 3
Every matrix A is Similar itself

If A and A are similar then [tex]P^{-1}AP[/tex] =[tex]A[/tex] ? this does not make sense to me.
Alternatively, do we have to show that A has the same eigenvalues as A? This is obvious, is this then the proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bertrandkis said:

Homework Statement

Question 1:
A) Show that if A is diagonalizable then [tex]A^{T}[/tex] is also diagonalizable.

We know that [tex]A[/tex] is diagonalizable if it's similar to a diagonal matrix.
So
which gives
Looks good.

Homework Statement

Question 2
If A and B are Similar matrices, then show that [tex]A^{2}[/tex] and [tex]B^{2}[/tex]
are similar

If A and B are similar then [tex]P^{-1}AP[/tex] = [tex]B[/tex]

We know that [tex]P^{-1}A^{k}P[/tex] =[tex]D^{k}[/tex]
You only know that if P is diagonallizable. That is not assumed in this problem.
let k=2 therefore
[tex]P^{-1}A^{2}P[/tex] =[tex]B^{2}[/tex]
hence [tex]A^{2}[/tex] and [tex]B^{2}[/tex] are similar
Looks like "overkill" to me. If you are asked only about A2 and B2, why use a fact about the kth power? If P-1AP= B, then
B2= (P-1AP)(P-1AP)= (P-1A)(PP-1)(AP).

Homework Statement

Question 3
Every matrix A is Similar itself

If A and A are similar then [tex]P^{-1}AP[/tex] =[tex]A[/tex] ? this does not make sense to me.
Alternatively, do we have to show that A has the same eigenvalues as A? This is obvious, is this then the proof?
How about just taking P= I?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, I see where I went wrong.
I tried to use the method in question 2 and extend it to prove that :
IF A and B are similar matrices then [tex]A^{k}[/tex] and [tex]B^{k}[/tex] are similar for any non negative integer k.

This is what I got:
[tex]B^{k}[/tex]=[tex](P^{-1}AP)[/tex] [tex](P^{-1}AP)[/tex] ...[tex](P^{-1}AP)[/tex] (k times)
then Multiply the right hand side 2 elements at a time as u did we will end up with [tex]P^{-1}A^{k}P[/tex].
Is This the correct way to proove it?

Yes, that works nicely.

Bertrandkis said:

So
which gives

Not quite complete yet. Just write down that transpose of inverse is inverse of transpose.

1. What is diagonalization and why is it important in linear algebra?

Diagonalization is the process of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to a given square matrix. It is important in linear algebra because it simplifies calculations involving matrix powers, matrix exponentials, and the solution of systems of linear differential equations.

2. How do eigenvalues and eigenvectors relate to diagonalization?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used to find the diagonal matrix in a diagonalization process. The diagonal matrix is made up of the eigenvalues of the original matrix, and the eigenvectors determine the similarity transformation that converts the original matrix into the diagonal matrix.

3. Can any square matrix be diagonalized?

Not all square matrices can be diagonalized. The necessary condition for a square matrix to be diagonalizable is that it must have n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the size of the matrix. If a matrix does not have enough eigenvectors, it cannot be diagonalized.

4. What is the relationship between diagonalization and eigen decomposition?

Diagonalization and eigen decomposition are closely related processes. Diagonalization involves finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to a given square matrix, while eigen decomposition involves decomposing a matrix into a product of diagonal and triangular matrices. Both processes are used to simplify calculations and solve systems of linear equations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of diagonalization and eigen vectors proofs?

Yes, diagonalization and eigen vectors proofs have many real-world applications. They are used in physics to study quantum mechanics, in engineering to solve problems in control theory and signal processing, and in data analysis to reduce the complexity of large datasets. They are also used in computer graphics to manipulate 3D objects and in finance to model financial systems.