Understanding the Beer-Lambert Law: Questions on Absorbance and Concentration

• Thread starter NLO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the specification of absorbance values for a study project on light attenuation in a material. The Wikipedia article on Beer-Lambert law states that absorbance is calculated using the extinction coefficient (k) and concentration (c). Question 1 asks if k refers to the extinction coefficient of the absorbing species, while Question 2 wonders about the dimensionality of c since it can also be expressed as percent by mass or parts per million. The response clarifies that k is the extinction coefficient of the material and c is dimensionless in parts per million. The formula for attenuated light is also provided, with path length (in meters) and concentration (in percent of mass) as its variables. The last question confirms if
NLO
Hi!

I am looking for help with understanding how to specify correct absorbance values for my little study project of modeling attenuation of light in a material.

Here are the sources that I am using:
1) The Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer-Lambert_law

states that the absorbance of a sample A is alpha*l*c, where alpha = (4*pi*k) /lambda and k is the extinction coefficient.

Question 1: Is k supposed to be the extinction coefficient of the absorbing species?

Question 2: If I am using k to calculate alpha as in the formula above, this makes c to be dimensionless (right?). How shall I then understand c?

I found here:
http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/concentration.html

that concentration can be specified as percent by mass or parts per million. Is this the case? Shall the concentration in my case be specified as dimensionless? For example 0.01 for 1 percent of mass of the absorbing species in the material?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
k is the extinction coefficient for the material and the concentration c is dimensionless in parts per million. Plug them into your equation and you should be ok.

Dr Transport, thanks!

Did I get it right that k is meant to be here the extinction coefficient of the material not of the absorbing particles?

So if i have k=0.07 for light with wavelength = 400 nm, then I get the following expression for attenuated light:
I1 = I0* exp(-path_length * 0.01 * (4*pi*0.07)/(400 * 1e-9)),
where:
1) path_length - length of path of light in material (measured in meters)
2) 0.01 - concentration of absorbing particles (equal to 1 percent of mass)
3) (4 * pi * 0.07)/(400 * 1e-9) - the absorption coefficient alpha (with wavelength measured in meters as well)

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the Beer-Lambert law?

The Beer-Lambert law, also known as the Beer-Lambert-Bouguer law, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the concentration of a chemical species in a solution and the amount of light absorbed by that solution.

2. How is the Beer-Lambert law derived?

The Beer-Lambert law is derived from the principles of light absorption and transmittance. It states that the absorbance of a solution is directly proportional to the concentration of the absorbing species and the path length of the light through the solution.

3. What is the significance of the Beer-Lambert law in chemistry?

The Beer-Lambert law is an important tool in analytical chemistry as it allows for the quantification of the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring its absorbance. It is also used in fields such as biochemistry, environmental science, and pharmaceutical research.

4. Can the Beer-Lambert law be applied to all types of solutions?

The Beer-Lambert law is most commonly applied to dilute solutions of chemical compounds in a solvent. However, it can also be applied to more complex solutions such as mixtures, as long as the absorbance of each component can be measured separately.

5. What are the limitations of the Beer-Lambert law?

The Beer-Lambert law assumes that the absorbing species is evenly distributed throughout the solution and that there is no interaction between the absorbing species. It also assumes that the light source is monochromatic and that the solution is in a uniform container. In real-world applications, these assumptions may not hold true and can affect the accuracy of the results.