Black holes and the time issue

In summary, the concept of time dilation applies to outside observers and does not affect the frame of the black hole or the universe itself. This means that while time may appear to slow down for outside observers, within the frame of the collapsing star or black hole, there is no time dilation. This raises questions about the existence of a true singularity in black holes, as time may slow down to the point where billions of years pass for outside observers while virtually no time passes for the black hole itself. This suggests that there may not be a true singularity in our space, at least not yet.
Tachyonie
Good day to you all, I am total amateur so people with high physics degree don't need to waste their time since this question is very easy to answer I am sure...

Time gets slower and slower (atleast relative to us) as the gravitational field gets stronger and stronger right? (If I am wrong just skip the rest and call me an idiot)
I can see two logical problems with this postulate. The first one is the big bang. How could the universe expand in such a short time if at the beggining, there was so much energy/matter that the time dilation must have been huge if not infinite? Or was it really that slow but since we live inside the universe we can't tell the difference?
Second one is the black holes. If I am right, as a star collapse into itself it has bigger and bigger escape speed and the time dilation increases. How can this star ever reach it's terminal state of singularity if eventually time virtually stops and atleast from our perspective the star never collapses completely?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
The time dilation apples to utside observers. It does not apply to the frame of the black hole itself. Similarly at the big bang, it did not apply to the universe itself. The same holds for a collapsing star - within its own frame, there is no dilation.

mathman said:
The time dilation apples to utside observers. It does not apply to the frame of the black hole itself. Similarly at the big bang, it did not apply to the universe itself. The same holds for a collapsing star - within its own frame, there is no dilation.

Yes indeed, I thought of it somehow like that but it's useful to have it confirmed from somebody else. However I didn't just mean that time stops for the collapsing star/black hole, but from our perspective it does. So in infinite future the star does collapse, but what point is there if universe might not exist anymore?
My poin was that there is no true singularity in black holes since eventually the time slows down so much that billions upon billions years can pass for the outter space and virtually no time for the black hole. Thus concluding that there is no true singularity in our space *yet*.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

How do black holes affect time?

Black holes have a significant effect on time due to their immense gravitational pull. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the closer you are to a black hole, the slower time will appear to pass. This is known as time dilation.

Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. The gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape, making black holes invisible to the naked eye.

Do black holes lead to other dimensions or universes?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that black holes lead to other dimensions or universes. While some theories suggest the possibility of a wormhole being formed inside a black hole, it is yet to be proven.

What happens to time inside a black hole?

Inside a black hole, time is distorted and appears to slow down significantly. As an object approaches the singularity, time will eventually come to a standstill. However, this is only true from an outside observer's perspective as the object itself will experience time normally.