Exploring the Effects of Interfering Polarized Light Waves

In summary, two waves polarized in orthogonal directions do not interfere in intensity, but the subsequent polarization may be affected.
babblingsia
What happens if two waves polarised in the x and y direction , say, interfere? Will the interference pattern be of less intensity? Or will there be a sharper pattern?

Science news on Phys.org
Two light waves, polarized in orthogonal directions, do not interfere in intensity.
The subsequent polarization MAY be affected, if the two waves were prepared coherently.

I don't understand, taking a polarized coherent light beem spiliting it into two, shifting the polarization of one by 90 degrees. Will the interference pattern be reduced?
What do you mean by subsequent polarization MAY be affected?

I the case you describe, if the path length of the two beams is the same, the result will be a wave polarized at 45 degrees to each original polarilzation.
The intensity will be the same as the original beam.

I guess I did not frame my question clearly.What I meant is this: Consider the double slit experiment, where in you get an interference pattern on the screen. Suppose the two beams from the slits were polarised in orthogonal direction, in what way would it change the interference pattern? Would you get a sharper image?

Did you get this question from JEST? Just curious, since it came in JEST this year. And you live in India ;).

Well, I myself think there would be no interference pattern. Remember how interference occurs... superposition of waves. If waves in orthogonal directions cannot superpose to form a zero of intensity, they won't "interfere" as such, they'll only combine. Like a vector along x-axis can subtract a vector along the same axis, but two vectors along x- and y- axes can only act independently, and never "subtract".

One more way of seeing this is to know that the waves don't interfere if the intensity of the pattern is the sum of the intensities of both the waves (Feynman, the first chapter on QM). E2 = E12 + E22

That's precisely how orthogonal vectors add.

I myself gave the answer as "no interference pattern". :)

babblingsia said:
I guess I did not frame my question clearly.What I meant is this: Consider the double slit experiment, where in you get an interference pattern on the screen. Suppose the two beams from the slits were polarised in orthogonal direction, in what way would it change the interference pattern? Would you get a sharper image?
Didn't my post #2 say there would be no interference pattern?

pam said:
Didn't my post #2 say there would be no interference pattern?

I just tried to explain it more elaborately. :)

1. What is polarized light?

Polarized light is a type of light in which the electromagnetic waves oscillate in a specific direction, rather than in all directions. This creates a light wave that has a specific polarization, meaning it has a specific angle of oscillation.

2. How does polarized light occur?

Polarized light occurs when light reflects off of a surface, such as water or glass, or when it passes through certain materials, such as polarizing filters or crystals. This process causes the light waves to align in a specific direction, creating polarized light.

3. What is the interference of polarized light?

The interference of polarized light occurs when two or more beams of polarized light overlap and their oscillations interfere with each other. This can result in changes in the intensity, direction, or polarization of the light.

4. How is polarized light used in science?

Polarized light is used in various scientific fields, such as optics, astronomy, and biology. It is used in polarizing microscopes to study the structure of biological samples, in polarimeters to measure the concentration of optically active substances, and in studying the polarization of light from celestial objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of polarized light?

Polarized light has many practical applications, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in LCD screens to control the amount of light passing through, and in 3D glasses to create the illusion of depth. It is also used in photography to enhance colors and reduce reflections, and in communication technologies like fiber optics.