Understanding Cross Multiplying in Factorizing Fractions: Explained

• Thread starter alpha01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, when multiplying terms with the same base or variable, you can add their powers. This is known as the property of exponents. In the given equation, (a+1)(a+1) can be written as (a+1)^2. Similarly, (a-1)(a-1) can be written as (a-1)^2. This is because they both have a common term, which is a. So, the extra "a" does not disappear, it is just factored out.
alpha01

Homework Statement

I don't understand why cross multiplying (a+1) with a(a+1) = (a+1)^2.

Similary on the RHS, I don't understand why cross multiplying (a-1) with a(a-1) = (a-1)^2.

Homework Equations

Factorizing to next step:

[tex]\frac{a + 1}{a(a - 1)}[/tex] _ [tex] \frac{a-1}{a(a + 1)}[/tex]

gives:

[tex]\frac{(a + 1)^2}{a(a - 1)(a + 1)}[/tex] _ [tex] \frac{(a - 1)^2}{a(a - 1)(a + 1)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Property of exponents. If you have the same base/variable, and you're multiplying them, write it as one base/variable and just add their powers.

[tex]x\cdot x=x^1\cdot x^1=x^{1+1}=x^2[/tex]

[tex](x+1)\cdot(x+1)=(x+1)^1\cdot(x+1)^1=(x+1)^{1+1}=(x+1)^2[/tex]

Also, your denominator contains a difference of squares: [tex](a+1)(a-1)=a^2-1^2=a^2-1[/tex]

Last edited:
You aren't 'cross multiplying', whatever that means. You are just putting things over a common denominator. Multiply the first term by (a+1)/(a+1)=1 and the second by (a-1)/(a-1)=1.

yes i understand that, however my question is what happened to the extra "a".

so your telling me that

a(a+1)(a+1) = (a+1)^2?

which i know is not true

alpha01 said:
yes i understand that, however my question is what happened to the extra "a".

so your telling me that

a(a+1)(a+1) = (a+1)^2?

which i know is not true
It doesn't disappear.

[tex]a(a+1)^2[/tex]

Also, you don't need to multiply the other term by a. They both have a common term a. The first is missing a+1, and 2nd is missing a-1. That's all.

yes it does, please look at the solution above (its from my uni's course notes).

I have deleted "The attempt at a solution" which was just my attempt to remove confusion

alpha01 said:
yes it does, please look at the solution above (its from my uni's course notes).

I have deleted "The attempt at a solution" which was just my attempt to remove confusion
Yeah it's right, it's done.

What is cross multiplying in factorizing fractions?

Cross multiplying in factorizing fractions is a method used to simplify and solve equations involving fractions. It involves multiplying the numerator of one fraction by the denominator of the other fraction and vice versa.

Why is cross multiplying used in factorizing fractions?

Cross multiplying is used in factorizing fractions because it helps to eliminate the fractions and make the equation easier to solve. It also helps to find the common factors between the fractions.

Can cross multiplying be used in all fraction equations?

No, cross multiplying can only be used in equations where the fractions have a common denominator. If the fractions have different denominators, they must first be converted to equivalent fractions with a common denominator before cross multiplying can be used.

What is the key concept to remember when using cross multiplying in factorizing fractions?

The key concept to remember is that the product of the numerator and denominator of one fraction must be equal to the product of the numerator and denominator of the other fraction. This ensures that the equation remains balanced.

Are there any limitations to using cross multiplying in factorizing fractions?

Yes, cross multiplying can only be used when both fractions are linear. It cannot be used if one or both fractions have variables in the denominator or if they are non-linear, such as involving square roots or exponents.