Solve Calculus: Limits with Definition of Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a calculus problem involving limits and a given function. The first part involves finding f(0) and using the definition of the derivative to find f'(x). The second part involves using the first principle method of derivative to determine f'(x) and finding the constant of integration. Finally, the conversation discusses integrating f'(x) to find f(x).
LadiesMan
[SOLVED] Calculus: Limits

1. For all real numbers x and y, let f be a function such that f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) + 2xy and such that lim (h -> 0) (f(h)/h) = 7

a. Find f(0). Justify your answer.
b. Use the definition of the derivative to find f'(x).
c. Find f(x).

Dang... I'm really stumped because I am unsure what it is asking :(. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is downright simple. Just put x=0, y=0 in the equation and solve for f(0). For the second and third part..

What does the first principle method of derivative tell you?

[tex]
f'(x) = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x + h) - f(x)}{h}
[/tex]

Using the fact that [itex]f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) + 2xy[/itex], you have:

[tex]
f'(x) = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(h) + 2xh}{h}
[/tex]

Now.. solve this question of limits keeping the first result in mind. Also, you have been given that [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(h)}{h} = 7[/tex]. You should be able to do this now easily.

Once you have done that, integrate it and then see if you can use the given data to determine the constant of integration. [i'm not so sure if u can determine it.. but do try it]

wow! Thank you very much =)

I got 7 + 2x after I continued from where you left off, but I am not sure if that's f'(x). Also I put 0 in for x and y, and got f(o) = f(0) + f(0) + 2(0)(0) = 0, which I am pretty sure doesn't mean anything. So if you could please break it down further, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

f(0)=f(0)+f(0) does mean something. What does it tell you about f(0)? If you've now got f'(x)=7+2x (and it is) and you want to find f(x) that's just an antiderivative problem, isn't it?

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

The definition of a limit in calculus is the value that a function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a specific point.

2. How do you calculate a limit with the definition of a derivative?

To calculate a limit with the definition of a derivative, you must use the formula lim(x->a) [f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a), where a is the specific point and f(x) is the function.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function approaching the specified point from one side, either the left or right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function approaching the specified point from both sides.

4. How do you use the definition of a derivative to find the slope of a tangent line?

The definition of a derivative can be used to find the slope of a tangent line by taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0. This will result in the slope of the tangent line at the specified point.

5. What is the relationship between limits and the definition of a derivative?

Limits and the definition of a derivative are closely related, as the definition of a derivative involves taking a limit. Limits help us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point, while the definition of a derivative helps us find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.