How Does the Gibbs-Helmholtz Equation Relate to Calculating Enthalpy?

• Thread starter neo2478
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of a formula in the physical world and how to solve for \Delta H. It touches on the topic of entropia, the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, and its application in chemistry and thermodynamics. The equation \left[\frac{\partial \Delta G}{\partial T}\right]_p = -\Delta S is mentioned, with the suggestion to solve for H by canceling terms and obtaining Enthalpy from a plot of \Delta G/T vs 1/T.
neo2478
Can somebody please shed a little light on what this formula represents in the physical world?
And how could I solve it to get [tex]\Delta H[/tex]?

[tex]
\left[\frac{d\left(\frac{\Delta G}{T}\right)}{\delta T}\right]_p = \frac{\Delta H}{T^2}
[/tex]

Science news on Phys.org
humm ..looks like entropia. Or may be I'm completely wrong.

So, you are saying that
[tex]
\left[\frac{d\left(\frac{\Delta G}{T}\right)}{\delta T}\right]_p = \Delta S
[/tex]
?

Last edited:
no i wrote that, but I'm not saying that :-).
Anyway should be something about Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, but i don't remeber much about it.
So something about chemistry and termodinamics application usually.

[tex]

\left[\frac{\partial \Delta G}{\partial T}\right]_p = -\Delta S

[/tex]

But wait a reply from someone that know of what is talking about because I'm not sure.

Gibbs Helmholtz
Note d(1/T)/dT is 1/T2. Solve for H. Cancel terms.
So Enthalpy can be obtained from plot of deltaG/T vs 1/T

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, work, and energy, and how they relate to each other in a system.

2. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and explain various physical phenomena such as heat transfer, energy conversion, and chemical reactions. It also has practical applications in fields like engineering, chemistry, and biology.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are: 1. First Law: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.2. Second Law: The total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time.3. Third Law: As temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a system also approaches zero.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a significant role in our everyday lives, from the functioning of our bodies to the operation of machines and appliances. For example, the process of cooking food, the operation of a refrigerator, and the functioning of car engines all involve thermodynamics principles.

5. What are some common applications of thermodynamics?

Some common applications of thermodynamics include power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, chemical reactions, and propulsion systems. It is also used in the design and optimization of various industrial processes and products.