Question about electrical components

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of analog and digital VOMs to record ohm and volt readings in a lab. The speaker expressed confusion about the varying ohm readings for different devices, such as a Buss fuse not moving the needle and a diode and resistor showing infinite ohms. They also questioned how to determine the expected readings before going to lab and why a resistor may measure outside of its tolerance range. They requested clarification and explanation, rather than a solution, for their confusion.
crh

Homework Statement

I had lab and I don't quite understand why I did what we did. We used an analog and digital VOM and used it to record the ohms and volts of various electrical components. I was wondering why when using the analog that different devices read completely different ohm readings. Take for example, our Buss fuse didn't even make the needle move, but the diode and the resistor made it go to infinite ohms. How do I figure out what they are supposed to read, and what to expect before going to lab. I couldn't find anything in my book or the lab manual. Also, I was wondering why a resistor would measure outside of its' tolerance range. Is this because it was faulty? Any help is appreciated.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need some explanation. I am not looking to solve anything, I am just confused on what we did.

Physics news on Phys.org
The different readings were confusing me and why a resistor would read outside of its tolerance range.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the principles behind electrical components and measurements in order to properly interpret the results obtained in a lab. The analog and digital VOMs (volt-ohm-meters) used in your lab are tools that measure the voltage and resistance of electrical components. The readings obtained can vary based on the type and quality of the component being measured, as well as the accuracy and precision of the VOM itself.

When using an analog VOM, the needle moves along a scale to indicate the value being measured. This type of VOM is less precise than a digital one, as the needle can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity. This may explain why the Buss fuse did not make the needle move, as it may have a very low resistance that is difficult to measure accurately with an analog VOM.

In contrast, a digital VOM provides a numerical reading, which is generally more accurate and precise. This may explain why the diode and resistor showed infinite ohms on the analog VOM, but were able to be measured on the digital VOM.

To figure out what readings to expect before going to lab, it is important to have a basic understanding of the components being measured and their expected values. This information can usually be found in textbooks or online resources. It is also helpful to have a general idea of the expected range of values for different types of components.

If a resistor measures outside of its tolerance range, it could be due to a faulty component or a measurement error. It is important to double check the measurement and also consider the quality and condition of the component being measured. If the measurement is consistently outside of the tolerance range, it is likely that the component is faulty.

In summary, understanding the principles of electrical components and measurements is crucial in interpreting lab results accurately. It is helpful to have a basic understanding of the components being measured and their expected values, as well as using the appropriate VOM for the type of measurement needed. If there are any discrepancies in the readings, it is important to double check the measurements and consider the quality and condition of the components being measured.

1. What is an electrical component?

An electrical component is a device that can manipulate electrical signals and currents in order to perform a specific function within an electrical circuit.

2. What are some common types of electrical components?

Some common types of electrical components include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits.

3. How do I choose the right electrical component for my project?

The right electrical component for your project depends on its purpose and the specific requirements of your circuit. Factors to consider include the component's properties, such as resistance or capacitance, and its voltage and current ratings.

4. How do I test an electrical component to make sure it is functioning properly?

You can use a multimeter to test an electrical component and check its resistance, capacitance, and other properties. You can also use a circuit tester to check for continuity and ensure the component is connected correctly.

5. Where can I purchase electrical components?

You can purchase electrical components from electronics stores, online retailers, and specialized component suppliers. Make sure to research the reliability and compatibility of the components before making a purchase.